Adding a sump to a Juwel450

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wazz72

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a Juwel 450 about 12 months ago, and should have altered the stand to house a 3ft sump underneath, but didn't get around to doing it.
It currently has a large amount of live rock, a Canister filter, a fluidized sand filter, a rowaphos reactor, a TMC UV, and a TMC v2 600 skimmer on it.
I'm now thinking now ways to add a sump, without emptying the tank.
I have an Octopuss overflow box and a large Eheim pump that I can use, the problem is the space in the cabinet.
I'm thinking of adding 2 18" tanks, using one as a refugium flowing into the other one set up as a sump.
Does this look okay?
Has anyone ever done anything similar?

Attachments

• tank pln1.png
    tank pln1.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 96
Havent build a sump myself, but was thinking of doing one when I upgrade to a bigger tank. There are plenty of designs around and some very similar to yours, except that the refugium is a bit higher. Dont think the installment of the overflow would be a problem, you dont have to empty the tank just do it diring a PWC.

i feel like with that setup the fuge would overflow the sump unless u put a really high baffle in the first chamber to keep the water level the same or raise the overflow from the fuge to the sump. with what it looks like is the fuge would drain quicker the the rest of the system runs with the water just poring out of the bottom IMO

Back
Top Bottom