Adding Pump To Python System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dpetes123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I love my python but hate how much extra water it uses when I am dumping water. Do you guys think it would be possible to add a "T" or something to the line to add a external pump so that I won't have to use all that extra water? I figure I can add the "T" with a valve and open it so that I can pump water out and then turn it the other way to let water through the normal hose to refill the tank. Good idea? Has anyone done it?

I turn the water on to start the siphon then turn it off and let the siphon do the work. Have you tried that? May not work in all cases. Flow is about the same as with water on in my case.

I turn the water on to start the siphon then turn it off and let the siphon do the work. Have you tried that? May not work in all cases. Flow is about the same as with water on in my case.

this is a neat tip. I actually always figured when the siphoning started it sort of blocked the faucet water off from constantly running but Im going to try this.

Also I thought about using the pump as well. Was going to pick up one of those cheapy drill chuck pumps with barbed hose connection to try it but got lazy.

http://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-Inc-1314-Drill-Pump/dp/B00F1ZJG5E

Actually the running water just drains the water faster,but I have found little difference with the water off.Like the OP I didn't like wasting all that water.My tanks are high enough above the faucets I use.If they aren't you may not get enough siphon. Worth a try.

Actually the running water just drains the water faster,but I have found little difference with the water off.Like the OP I didn't like wasting all that water.My tanks are high enough above the faucets I use.If they aren't you may not get enough siphon. Worth a try.

hmmm Id say mine are about the same level as the faucet but the hose dips so siphoning without the water on may not work. Actually I know it wont since when I want it to stop I just shut off the faucet lol.

First thing, on my planted tank I don't syphon the dirt. So what I've done is hook a plactic hose onto a fountain pump that I submerge in my tank and run the hose to the toilet or sink to get rid of the water. and then I run the pump in my bucket where I mix water and pump it back to my tank. Best thing I've done for my tank for sure. Makes a water change on my 125 incredibly quick and easy.

Back
Top Bottom