Advice Needed On Constructing A Homemade Uv-C Sanitizer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neriah

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there,
I am an keen athlete and due to the circumstances I often find myself wearing the same pair of shoes over prolonged periods of time without a chance of changing socks or shoes. As a result, I occasionally suffer from fungal infections and bad foot odour.

A few days ago I saw a product called sterishoe, advertised as a shoe sanitizer. To my understanding it is essentially a UV-C lamp which is utilized to kill any fungus present in the shoes. Do you think it's an effective way of killing fungi? I have decided to give it a try using my own homemade device. UV-C lamps for sanitational purposes are only used in aquariums so I thought this would be the best place to ask for help.

I am just looking for a UV-C bulb with a cable to be able to power it. I need a bulb which will not get very hot as it will be placed inside shoes. I have no idea of UV devices but from what I've heard the best way to kill fungus is with UV-C high intensity radiation with peak frequency of 253.7nm even though I have no idea what this means. I would like to hear your view on this! Do you think I should get a lamp with more than 10W of power?

What do you think, are those lamps any good?
UV Shop - G4T5 - 4 Watts
13w PLS UV bulb - Aquarium - Pond - All Pond Solutions
Buy Arcadia Ultra Clear Compact UV Lamp - 9w 165mm at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Fish pond accessories.

The overall length of the device shouldn't exceed 19-23 cm and as I would like to get as much as lamp area as possible.Most UV-C lamps have a G23 socket and even though there is a wide variety of lamps available I haven't really found any short adaptors/cables available on sale locally or through the web (I live in the UK).

I am looking for something like this:
1234.jpg

ultraviolet_light_air_purifier_493283.jpg

As for safety, I am aware that UV-C radiation can damage the eyes so I intend to place the shoes inside a cardboard box while the device is functioning. My guess is that should be enough.

I would like to try this out and I thought I hoped I could get some advice from you guys. Thank you for your time, I look forward to your reply!

Anyone? My main concern is finding a suitable G23 adaptor/cable for this kind of use.

Back
Top Bottom