Aluminum Thermodynamics? Thickness for a heat spreader?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It will be a closed loop system with copper pipe so I will not have to worry about it... also it's RO/DI water so there is nothing for the bacteria (if it does get into the system and live) to eat thus no multiplying numbers. Also the only way water to get out of the system is if there is a leak. On another note, I got my tank :D YAHOO!

How much power are we talking about dissipating here? Also, keep in mind that water pumps, peltiers, ect. dont magically make heat go away. It just MOVES it somewhere more conveinient. Unless were talking hundreds of watts, id suggest heatsinks with fans.

If you insist on water cooling, you may want to check out water blocks meant for high power laser diode arrays. They are basically large heatsinks with a bunch of copper pipes inside. You pump coolant through this and a radiator to keep the diodes cool. Ill bet you could make one easily with a piece of aluminum and copper tubing from Lowes/Home Depot.

There are also kits meant for cooling high powered CPUs...
Matt

I am buying a slab of aluminum and attaching copper pipe to the top side. The 900W of LED's will be on the under side. Running the pipe under ground is where the heat dissipates. The purpose of using water is two fold.
One: to keep the heat out of the fish room as it will be hot enough in the summer without all that extra heat.
Two: to make it quiet.

I hope you have a whole mess of thermal compound to join the aluminum plate and copper tube.

a few of these NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound Paste NON-ELECTRICAL Conductive 30 Gram - MX-2T-30G In Canada.
33229_l.jpg

.... okay you are right... I believe that at some point I misunderstood the 83 federal subjects and thought that they were diff countries... I might have even been told that in the past.

Back
Top Bottom