Another aquarium cooler idea....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have seen places on the web where you can purchase temp control systems for a home, where they place tubing underground and run a fluid through it back into the home and through a fan unit which cools the home during the summer and heats in the winter, as it's at a depth to where the temp remains constant no matter the temp outside. I wonder if something like this could be implimented by placing coils underground and running a pump with tank water through it and back to the tank. Would all have to be aquarium safe materials of course, but once you get the flow set exactly, the aquarium should maintain a constant temp. Just a thought for others to comment on.

And if not that, maybe have a large barrel of water which is pumped through the tubing, then also have a coil system in the barrel of water for the aquarium water to go through. This might be the safer idea.

it is called geothermal heating and cooling or a geothermal heat pump.

you have to go several feet into the ground until you get to a point at which the temperature is constant, and that depth varies with your location. it is a really neat concept, however, the cost of installing this for the sole purpose of an aquarium would probably be cost prohibitive.

~mike

Lonewolfblue said:
Some reason I was thinking 6 feet, but not sure.

Edit:
Just did a search, it is 6 feet.
http://www.geoexchange.org/about/how.htm

The depth required is different at all locations on the globe... it changes due to proximity to a water source, soil composition, elevation, any number of factors really...

To be honest with you this idea is too costly to implement. the metal tubing that you will have to drop into the ground would be a coil of copper about 50 ft (25 ft min, 25 coils of 1 ft circumference) with an ID of 1/4; that right there will run you about $40 USD.
Then you have to dig the hole or in most cases have someone dig it for you. with the transfer sink being 1ft coils the hole will only have to be about 1/2 ft diameter and 6-50 ft deep. no sense in diging it by hand at that point.

as you can see the cost adds up fast, it really isnt practical.

History:
I have built a geo-thermal air conditoner for my house. it incorporates copper tubing, a fan, some hose, and a cooler of ice, I kept away from diging up the backyard when i realized the significant cost involved.

When i get a second to run out to my car I will grab my air-conditoner and snap a pic to show everyone.

Well I now have pictures to show you all.

Maybe as far as doing it in a fresh water tank you could get the copper and use the same principals as my thermal transfer air conditoner.

Make the coils much smaller and throw them in the filter housing or mod it and make an enlarged fiberglass reservoir to house the cooling coils.

Just to clear the principal up. this air conditoner has no pump it works off the principal of syphon.

http://zakwashere.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album03

DSCF1341.sized.jpg

Back
Top Bottom