Another DIY background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicklid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just thought I'd say hello to everyone. I am brand new here, but I have visited several times, been REALLY inspired by Sulla's incredible background. So much so I made one for my 55 gallon. Just finished 2nd coat of cement, but photo is during first dry fit. Looks extra cool nowwith the cement/sand mix on it , photos will be posted as soon as it is in the water curing tomorrow... I think I am gonna go with one electric blue Dempsey and a few dithers like silver dollars or buenos aires tetras since there aren't really enough caves to support mbuna... Plants are just fake for now, but I am planning on putting java fern and moss in the back wall crevices, along with a long driftwood branch. Whatcha think? Check it... Also am gonna post exactly how many gallons this used up from the original 55, since to hide the equipment it had to be 2 and a half inches deep.

Attachments

• background1_137.jpg
    background1_137.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 268
Update with cement

Here it is dry fit with 3 layers of portland cement w/ very coarse sand mix for the first layer only to give it some texture, then another 2 coats w/out sand. I am happy with the result! Plastic plants dont really bother me, but I want to try the Java Fen/Moss combo stuck in the crevices like I said before. Sorry about the glare off the top, thats prob. where the most of my algae's gonna grow... One thing about the cement, tho: KEEP IT DAMP or it will crack for SURE. Mine checked on the second coat after being dry a couple of hours, so I stiffened up the third coat and kept it wet after it started to cure a bit. Now it's curing under damp towels wrapped in black plastic garbage bags for prob. the next 7 days.

Attachments

• cemented_467.jpg
    cemented_467.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 166
Back
Top Bottom