Another DIY Python

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bengoshi2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wanted to share my DIY python project. I started on this quest after I realized just how much bucket carrying I was going to have to do once my 29g is populated. So I found the following website, DIY - Python Gravel Cleaner and used it as a guide.

1) Waterbed Drain/Refill Kit - Ace Hardware - 7.95
2) 25 ft NeverKink camper/RV hose - Home Depot - 12.95
3) Plastic Garden Hose Shutoff valve - Lowe's - 2.99
4) Female 1/2" Garden Hose repair barb - Ace Hardware - 1.99

Sub Total: $25.88

I already had a gravel vacuum that I bought with the 5g tank back in April (and it was like $6 at Petsmart). So for about $32 bucks (less tax) I have myself a python. For comparison, the Aqueon 25 ft system is $44.95 at Petsmart. I could have gone with a cheaper 25 ft hose, but where fish health is concerned, skimping seemed, well, inhumane.

I did a pwc on the 5g as a test and it drained 50% before I could get it stopped (we have ridiculously high water pressure). I did a 90% pwc on the 29g and this time I turned off the faucet. The system held pressure and this brought the siphon speed down significantly (reducing my concerns of accidentally sucking up the fish) and would give me enough time to actually do some cleaning before the tank would be sucked dry. I'm working on some sort of a "guard" that I can put in the vacuum to keep my aquatic charges in the tank.

This was an easy project and is going to make those pwc's much easier (which means I'll be much more likely to stay on a proper cleaning schedule).

same thing I did.
If you go at end of season you can build it for under 10 bucks. for the guard I use a worm feeder cup flipped upside down at the end of the gravel vac.

Back
Top Bottom