Anyone ever do some DIY sound-proofing for the filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Passatryde

Aquarium Advice Activist
I used to do car audio installs and there was something called dynamat that I've been thinking might make my filter more quiet....anyone try something like that?

Vibration damping products like Dynamat are great on sheet metal that vibrates and makes the tinny sound you want to kill in a car. What kind of filter are you talking about? I don't think there's anything you could do for a HOB, for example, being out in the open.
But if a canister in a cabinet is a bit noisy you could add sound absorbing and/or sound blocking materials to the inside cabinet walls. You could also put it on a vibration absorbing pad so the hum doesn't transmit to the surface it's sitting on.
A good site that covers the difference between vibration damping (CLD), sound absorption (CCF) & sound blocking (MLV): Sound Deadener Showdown
Another great site: Cascade Audio Engineering - Sound Damping and Sound Blocking

- D

On my tank the sump was loud so I added 1/2" insulation foam on the inside walls of the stand and one on the back. I have not tested it with the foam yet but I think that it will get rid of some of the noise. When I test it I will post the results.

Back
Top Bottom