Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2018, 10:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Aquaclear 50 intake rerouting project.

I have a 20 long that I'm about to set up. The tank is so long I wanted to get some flow from side to side. I used 2 AC ext tubes, 5/8 ID clear flex tubing, suction cup heater holders, 5/8 elbows, and 5/8 blue rigid pipe from Home Depot. Not sure what kind of pipe the blue stuff is but it's a thinner wall than PVC and it's not as ugly. The AC ext tubes fit so tightly into the clear tubing so I sanded the ext tubes so they would slide on a little easier. Then while the tubes were on the tubing I boiled the ends of the clear tubing so it flared them out a bit. That makes it easier to take apart and put together later. All I need is a pre filter sponge on the end. I may get the tank and stand out of storage and bring it home next week.

10Gallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Interesting. I wondered if/how much the flow will be effected from having to pull water that far, especially with a pre-filter. Might be hard to get it to prime.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallfry53 View Post
Interesting. I wondered if/how much the flow will be effected from having to pull water that far, especially with a pre-filter. Might be hard to get it to prime.
There's only one way to find out What I'm worried about is the elbows and blue tubing has a ID that's smaller than the AC tubes, and that may restrict flow Can;t wait to try it out.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, hopefully it works out for you. I'd guess it will, might have to be willing to ditch the pre-filter though.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Today I went to my grandmother's house where the tank is being stored. Sorry for the bad pics-I forgot to bring a DSLR and only had my phone to take pics. Just need to get some extension so the pipe across the back wall will be lower.

Tags
aquac, aquaclear, aquaclear 50, clear, intake, project

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com