It's been a while since I've been on the forum :-(
Health issues and Work have plagued my free time.
As the work load has lightened, and my health has improved,
I'm finally getting back to getting to some projects I've been
Many moons ago, I tried my hand at a DIY Aquaponic filter to
reduce Nitrates in my aquarium. That project was very successful
in many ways, and had its fair share of flaws. The original project
It's still running today, and is doing an exemplary job reducing those
toxifying Nitrates, but, it was made with 'less than durable' parts, and
a few makeshift work arounds that have not stood the test of time.
- The Planter Box is cheap thin walled plastic and is bowing outwards.
- The bulkheads are not true bulkheads, but rather big box store part hacks.
- Those 'bulkheads' are now starting to leak/drip... Ack.
- The dividers held by aquarium silicone did not stay in place.
- The 'Net Pot in a Net Pot' system to hold the pot(s) in place failed miserably
- Using a MDF laminated shelf proved VERY stupid, because it's bloating and peeling
Here's a few pics of the old Aquaponics filter's deteriorating state.
So, I consider these learning opportunities.... Now it's time to make a
proper Aquaponics filter worthy of being more of a 'showpiece'.
The design is sound. I've decided to stay with the overhead setup, as
it's works great, and requires very little fiddling. Just the occasional root
and plant trimming.
The NEW and IMPROVED design has a proper 36 inch PVC
planter box (Joints are PVC
welded, not silicone adhered).
The Net Pots are a heavier duty 6 inch variety, and will 'hang' on an
acrylic tray in the planter.
I've sourced proper bulkheads. A 3/4 inch inlet bulkhead, and a 1 1/2 inch
drain/outlet bulkhead, and will be using PVC
pipe for 90% of the plumbing.
Ball valves will also be put in each side
sheets will be made into dividers that will 'slide down' into the box,
so they can be removed for cleaning.
These 'upgrades' should all improve looks, and performance. I hope to
get 4-500gph circulation (up from ~120gph) and having the planter
covered better should minimize any 'excessive' evaporation.
As you can see, I did get started, by painting the planter box black. A trip
to the home improvement store tomorrow, and I'll get a proper wood shelf,
and paint and polyurethane it (black also).
As this project will be 'fit and finish', it'll probably take a few weeks to
complete, so I'll post up as I make progress.