Aquarium brace issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B Riggsy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi new here but looking for some advice on my tank...

The tank in question is a used 42x24x18 and made with 10mm glass. Its euro braced around the top which i understand because of the 10mm glass not being thick enough to go rimless but is also euro braced around the bottom which iv never seen before?

Just curious if anybody else has seen this before/removed it...im trying to switch to saltwater for the first time and would really like to drill the bottom of the tank over the rear if possible but this brace is causing issues.

P.s sorry if iv posted this in the wrong forum?

A pic would help and a lot of tanks have tempered glass bottoms , so can't be drilled .

Thankfully the base seems to be un-tempered although im going to check again to make sure

Iv tried to attach some pics hopefully its worked

Attachments

• IMG_20200201_190947.jpg
    IMG_20200201_190947.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20200201_190956.jpg
    IMG_20200201_190956.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 50
I have never seen a trim like that . I have no further advice except to ask anywhere you can and see if you can cut some of the frame away so you can drill a hole . Hope that makes sense .

Sorry i didnt explain this very well its a glass brace inside the tank 100mm all the way around siliconed in so should be water tight. It has the same sort of brace around the top aswell

My best guess is its something like a double bottom idea? I would really like to drill through the brace and bottom glass and install bulkheads but i cant shake the feeling it might weaken the tank. all though iv never seen a tank this small so over engineered only on 60" long or over 24" tall that have 10mm double bottom panels

Thanks for the replys

Oh I see now . In that case I would be wary of drilling it too . Maybe drill the back side?

Looks like drilling the back is going to be the safer option which is a pain because i really want the tank to be flush with the wall

Thanks for replying

Back
Top Bottom