Aquarium Hydroponics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ldaniel

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,
just looking into the idea of using the open area in the back of a planted tank as a small aquaponics area. From what I have read most the macro's and micro's are close to the same for both aquatic and non-aquatic plants.
Any idea's?
Thanks.

What specifically were you thinking of? It will probably work with most though, so go ahead. Watch for anything that may leak into the tank.

What specifically were you thinking of?
Well I was thinking about using a small netting basket or just a small "stand" (foam or something that floats) for the plant (most likely a bell pepper) and leaving the roots in the water full time.
A different option I have though of is hanging the plant from a shelf or the celing as to allow the plant to grow with out having any base, if the plant grows at all.
I have a glass top on the tank now but there is a small, about 2 inch, gap between the back of the glass and the back of the tank. this is also where the HOB filter is placed.

Yes, that'll definately work, either floating for smaller plants or with a pot holder drilled to a wall for larger plants.

You will have to dose stuff for any plant that flowers. Stuff like lettuce etc that doesn't flower will do fine with out dosing anything

You will have to dose stuff for any plant that flowers. Stuff like lettuce etc that doesn't flower will do fine with out dosing anything

I currently dose kno3. And I was working on finding a way to dose iron without having to buy the pre packaged cleted iron. As it stands now I have been unable to create any meaningful results. So tomorrow I will head to the store to pick up some iron.
Thanks.
What else do you think I should be dosing?

I currently dose kno3. And I was working on finding a way to dose iron without having to buy the pre packaged cleted iron. As it stands now I have been unable to create any meaningful results. So tomorrow I will head to the store to pick up some iron.
Thanks.
What else do you think I should be dosing?

Plants that flower (like a pepper) need Phosphorus to help create the flower/seed. If you intend to just grow green vegtables you can get away with out having to worry about Phosphorus.

Check out Plant nutrition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more info on what plants generally need to really do well.

There is a way to grow flowering plants using aquaponics without having to really dose Phosphorus, however you need to use a growing media and introduce worms to create the phosphorus for you. It sounds liek you are wanting to use floating nets though.

Check out: How to Grow Tomatoes in Aquaponics | eHow.com for a guide that is fairly simple and strait forward. They use tomatoes as an example. I found it using google while trying to gather information as i haven't research aquaponics in a year or so and wanted to be sure i wasn't giving you crappy advise lol.

I would be really interested in seeing how you make out as i am planing a aquaponics system in the future (was going to be sooner but we decided to build a house first lol). I will be following along.

Sorry about the late reply was away from the computer for a while.

Thanks for the info. I have been holding off until my next set of days off which start next Thursday. I am planning on starting with spearmint. As I have a large batch growing in the yard. I will post some pics when I get everything working.

Back
Top Bottom