Aquarium wood question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeffreyBowers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

My LFS has pieces of aquarium wood that are large and flat maybe about 9x11 and maybe 2 inches wide a bit bigger than a piece of standard paper but obviously thicker.

I was thinking about adding it to my tank but would love to make some swim through holes in it.

I was wondering what the best way to do this would be without making the wood crack and break so it's not just acting like a wall in the tank.

Has anyone done this? Or do you think it would be possible. Aquarium wood always seems kinda frail to me

Thanks guys

JSB

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441943811.722487.jpg

So for example if i had a piece like the top one and wanted to add some holes like the bottom one has.

The wood seems like it may just split if I used something as strong as a drill. But that being said I don't use a drill much so maybe not? The wood just seems somewhat light so I'm afraid it would just split.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When you said 2 inches wide, did you mean thick? If not how thick are they? If they are 2" then a drill should be fine, just take your time and have a sharp hole saw bit. You can always tape off the wood to keep it from splintering. If they are thinner, then maybe something like an exacto knife? Just a note, the hole in the 2nd one looks like it was a knot in the wood that was cut out, or maybe rotted out.

Back
Top Bottom