Arduino powered Shimmering Moonlight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, So I've got a huge project on the go trying to rehabilitate my 75 gallon. I've decided no amount of work will stop me from getting it where I want it, Thread here for those of you that want to catch up

This is my build long for a side project.

The LED lights I bought do have moonlights - but they're controlled by a hard switch, so I can't put them on a timer. I really liked the look with them on (maybe a bit too blue) and also liked the idea of having the ability to see in there a bit once the lights go out.

So, I looked around for some moonlights, and didn't like anything I could see.

So I've decided to make my own.

A few months ago I purchased 15 feet of Addressable LED's. Each LED can be individually controlled in brightness and color, You just need a controller (Ardiuno or similar) to do so.

I have an arduino. I get the clones for about 8 bucks.

Since I can't do any "wet work" in the tank due to a recent surgery on my finger (almost healed now, FINALLY) I decided to give this a go.

This is Version 1! I can't figure out how to get the LED's to slowly come "on" instead of just sparkle instantly, but I got the fading down ok. To avoid startling my fish I have the overall brightness of the LED's to be very close to the maximum "sparkle" brightness.

Its only 15 inches of LED's (and 12 LED's) so I'm going to run it horizontally on the cross brace int he middle of my 75 gallon. This should hide it completely from view, and when I'm done, it'll be just a thin USB cable going to the light. (right now I've soldered it to a balance connector for an RC battery, for ease of testing)

Anyway, Pictures are great, but videos are better!

Do you think this will startle or keep the fish (discus eventually) awake at night? does it need to be toned down?

I like the idea. I think with the slight difussion from the "clear" cover would help. Id like to see it on the tank. I use a "moonlight" type led, but the "twinkle" comes from the water surface disruption

Tried to edit original post but JUST missed the time. Reposting all updates here. (Sorry)

Mods, if you can replace first post with this post that'd be amazeballs:

=======================

Ok, So I've got a huge project on the go trying to rehabilitate my 75 gallon. I've decided no amount of work will stop me from getting it where I want it, Thread here for those of you that want to catch up

This is my build long for a side project.

The LED lights I bought do have moonlights - but they're controlled by a hard switch, so I can't put them on a timer. I really liked the look with them on (maybe a bit too blue) and also liked the idea of having the ability to see in there a bit once the lights go out.

So, I looked around for some moonlights, and didn't like anything I could see.

So I've decided to make my own.

A few months ago I purchased 15 feet of Addressable LED's. Each LED can be individually controlled in brightness and color, You just need a controller (Ardiuno or similar) to do so.

I have an arduino. I get the clones for about 8 bucks.

Since I can't do any "wet work" in the tank due to a recent surgery on my finger (almost healed now, FINALLY) I decided to give this a go.

This is Version 1! I can't figure out how to get the LED's to slowly come "on" instead of just sparkle instantly, but I got the fading down ok. To avoid startling my fish I have the overall brightness of the LED's to be very close to the maximum "sparkle" brightness.

Its only 15 inches of LED's (and 12 LED's) so I'm going to run it horizontally on the cross brace int he middle of my 75 gallon. This should hide it completely from view, and when I'm done, it'll be just a thin USB cable going to the light. (right now I've soldered it to a balance connector for an RC battery, for ease of testing)

Anyway, Pictures are great, but videos are better!

Do you think this will startle or keep the fish (discus eventually) awake at night? does it need to be toned down?

Update: Its basically done! Here's how!

OK, I basically finished it. I need to get some clear heatshrink and a box to put the ardino in - but it is functional, and currently held in with Electrical Tape.

First:
I soldered on some Jumper wires to each so I could easily plug/unplug for testing. Once happy (the video above, with 3X delay during loop, slightly more "gain" to make overall brightness higher and more even)
fQmyVMn.jpg

Once happy, I cannibalized an old mouse with a long cable so I could get a nice thin wire that could handle 5V, Ground and the Signal wire, and soldered it to a new Cut of 12 NeoPixels.

cQXpxbP.jpg

Soldered it to the board, used a voltmeter to ensure there wasn't any bridged soldering joints as it was all pretty close and my work isn't the best.

But its good!

Next I Soldered the other end to the bottom side of the board. Did this so I could still use the board for another project later if I wanted. (Hint - Light/CO2 controller, but thats WAY in the future)

AYcjurK.jpg

Thankfully I had the forsight to put various pieces of heat shrink on the cables before I soldiered. I haven't shrunk them yet - but once I get all the finish touches done I'll do it then.

at this point I brought it up stairs to test for an hour to make sure nothing was going to pop a USB Charger or the arduino itself. It passed!

I did all the above while my daughter was napping, and when I brought her down when she woke up and she immedately shouted "WOWWWWWWWW" the second she was in site. Quite rewarding to have the approval of my 18 month old! lol.

jf53e92.jpg

After dinner I was watching it light up the ceiling and got really excited - I decided to use some Electrical tape and hold it onto the crossmember... just to see.

IaHEIM3.jpg

Its pretty fugly like this, but I just wanted to see...

I decided to turn off all the lights.

INSTANT GRATIFICATION.
I absolutely LOVE IT.

fPJRUT4.jpg

And heres a video!

Back
Top Bottom