Are my ceramic pieces aquarium safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elefish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
In my ceramics class I made a few caves that I had meant to use for my snake, but turned out to be just barely too small for her. These are food safe (and microwave/dishwasher safe, too, if that matters for any reason). I was wondering if these would be safe for my aquariums (meaning safe for freshwater frogs, fish, snails, and shrimp). Thank you!

Hi! I'm a ceramist! Hooray for ceramics!

Food safe means, chemically speaking, aquarium safe. If it's not leaching chemicals into your food, it's not leaching chemicals into your water.

The thing to check for is whether they have sharp edges. I have heard but not tried a pantyhose test, where you wrap the item in a fragile fabric mesh to check for anything that might catch your fish.

I'd love to see pictures once you have things set up.

Thank you, I'll check that the edges aren't sharp. I know one has a little pick on the bottom, but I'll burry that and make sure it goes in a tank with out any burrowing fish. I'll be sure to put some pictures up when it is setup.

Back
Top Bottom