Assembling Acrylic Tank, Important Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VERY VERY IMPORTANT:
When gluing together the acrylic tank. do you fist tape/clamp the tank together then glue the touching seams?
OR
Do you place acrylic cement on the edge of the acrylic and then "sandwich" the glue inbetween the two pieces and then clamp/tape the tank togeher?
Need to know. I'm going to pick up my acrylic Friday and want to build this tank leak proof. the dimensions are 48L, 20W, 20H. (about 80 Gal.)
:D :twisted: lol

Thanks folks.

it would depend on the adhesive u are using. if it is the really thin watery glue... then you will need to tape the sheets in place, and feed the glue into the joint by capilary action. i have read a method that involved using straight pins to provide a gap between the sheets, into which the glue is fed. then as the sheets are bonding you can pull out the pins and fill the gaps.

i have not done this myself, so i suggest you do some practice first. basically, when you are done, you want the joint to be perfectly clear... with no imperfections. you want it to look like it was all one piece of plastic.

<<side note... i just became a forum regular!!!! 8) )

~mike

Well. congrats on your regularity mp3z24 lol
well the glue im going to be using is TAP Plastics Acrylic cement.
So i dont know if i should run it along the seem or "sandwich" the glue in between the two pieces.
That Pin method sounds complicated. but it sounds like it will work well. I'm looking for something simipler like "run the glue along the edge and stick it" or "tape it together and then glue" lol I was wondering wich one would be more solid.

The pin method is reputed to be the best .... & is recommedned by pro tank builders.

The problem with "run glue along edge & join" method is that the solvent dries & set very quickly (in the order of 10-30 seconds for weld on 4 - I would think what you have is similar) ... so this is only workable if the joint is short (or you can work very fast! :D )

The other method is what most people use ... You tape the joint first, then inject the glue along the edge of the joint using a needle & syringe, and the glue get sucked into the joint with capillary action. You can go slowly doing it this way & make sure you have enough solvent to go across the entire joint as you go along so you won't have gaps & voids. (shine a strong light across the joint line & you should see the glue move across the joint).

Whatever method you choose, make sure to practice on scraps first ....

ok im stressed out. this acrylic cement doesnt work. and i just keep making a mess out of my test pieces. this stuff is like water and spills and drips everywere.
I dont know what to do.

Which method are you using?

If you are using the tape & run glue along the seam method, You need to:

1. use a syringe & needle to control the amount you inject - you want just enough to run across the joint, too much & you make a mess. If you are already using this, & can't get fine enough control, use a smaller needle to decrease the flow rate.

2. make sure the joint is horizontal < that is in both planes>! the glue should be pulled into the joint with capillary action, not by gravity. --- if it is vertical, glue will drip out .... That is , put one piece down flat, then the vertical piece on top of it to form the joint (not besides it), and run the solvent slowly along the inside seam....

... see 2nd pic here for the correct placement - http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=30257

3. Note also that the edges to be joined can't be too rough .... you can't have too big of a gap or the thing won't bond. For best result, you need to smooth the edges with a router or a jointer.

Keep trying & practicing till you get the hang of it.

ok i made a good solid bubble free test peice. the test peices i am using are very thinner then the actual thickness that is going to be used for the tank.
but when i let it cure overnight its very solid.
Thanks for that link, i have seen that before. im going to use that same type of clamp.
Its really easy. but to perfect it you need some practice.
I think im going to start the tank on monday.

Ok i havent started the tank yet because... well. I'm scared. lol
Im not confident on my gluing skills (my test pieces are all solid and bubble free though) and everyone tells me that the capillary method will leak. So im trying to research and find other ways to glue this thing together. But every site i go to uses the capillary method. If anyone know of another way to assemble this acrylic tank and can explain it to me in detail than let me know.

Thanks. :D

ace1uno_00 said:
Ok i havent started the tank yet because... well. I'm scared. lol
Im not confident on my gluing skills (my test pieces are all solid and bubble free though) and everyone tells me that the capillary method will leak. :D

Welcome to the club! :lol: When I worked on my DIY skimmer, I dragged my feet for days before I actually began. I had everything I needed for over 2 weeks before I started. :puppydogeyes:

Perhaps you are taking on too big of a fish for a first acrylic job? Pun intended! :lol: Perhaps, as a first "hands-on", you could work on small sump to hone your skills without risking/wasting too much $$. A 10 gallon sump or whatever would be better than working with large/thick acrylic sheets. Katching!! :wink:

Best of luck and tell us how you make out.

8)

Well... Last night i made a little 1 Gallon tank. it came out pretty good. I had to use more weld on #16 then anticipated. the acrylic had alot of uneven spots. but besides that its water tight. I'm going to use it for a betta.
But besides that im Going to build a 20 Gallon next. i'll let you know how that comes out.

Umm... Uneveness (sp?) is something you want to avoid. Indeed, weldon 16 will fill in the holes and gaps, but for a large tank, I would be concerned with the integrity of the seems. There will be a lot of water pressure all around. I'm not sure I would sleep well. :wink: If it works for you, the more glory to you! :D

There is a humongus thread on RC about making acrylic tanks and stuff. There are a few acrylic gurus that hang out there. :wink:

8)

What's RC?
I'm about to satrt the tank. just checkin all my options and glue applications out there. i might even due bent corners in the front so there's less gluing involved and less worries about a leak.

Back
Top Bottom