Back up power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike921

Aquarium Advice Regular
So was thinking due to the fact that I lose power a lot and it's getting cold out that I'm going to need some kind of back up power system for atleast my heaters and filters to run. Any ideas?

A gas generator of some sort. Figure out how much wattage you need to run all your stuff and get the right size generator. Probably looking at $150 on the low end for a small generator. Can just a run cord into the home and run the essentials.

A gas generator of some sort. Figure out how much wattage you need to run all your stuff and get the right size generator. Probably looking at $150 on the low end for a small generator. Can just a run cord into the home and run the essentials.

That's where my problem is we have a generator to power most of the house. We just turn it off at night cuz it's outside the bedroom windows. And it makes a lot of noise. I was thinkin about some kinda DIY hook up with car battery's or something

That's where my problem is we have a generator to power most of the house. We just turn it off at night cuz it's outside the bedroom windows. And it makes a lot of noise. I was thinkin about some kinda DIY hook up with car battery's or something

That would require an inverter, and there is a lot of lost power in the DC to AC conversion.

A 1500VA UPS should be more than enough to run filters for a while. As far as heating goes, I keep some empty water bottles laying around and heat water on our stove (it's gas) that I can put in the bottles and float in the tank. It's far from perfect, but heaters will drain a UPS in no time.

DIY some kind of silencer to the jenny, in an emergency power out in my old place I used a 2 stroke jenny for main systems, filters, heaters at lowest T. for stock. It was hassle changing all the plugs on the occasions I used it, you would be doing it every night.
A gas heater in the room will ensure heaters work less-must be monitored! After a bit of testing a time can be estimated to keep temp up in room overnight. 2-3 hours on, door closed, heater off, alarm clock!

Insulate tanks, glass is not ideal for keeping heat in.

Use exhaust repair tape, fire gum (high temp putty for exhausts), muffler from maybe a 50cc motor cycle, needs extensive research to acquire suitable bore diameter. It isn't silent but it is greatly reduced.

Box in jenny, line with sound dampening HEAT PROOF material, see under car bonnet/hood for details.
Exhaust needs an outlet hole, air intake needs cool fresh air.

Back
Top Bottom