Ballast wiring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can anyone tell me how I can take the attached wiring diagram and convert it to power a 55/65 watt bulb vs the 2 32 watt bulbs currently running on it?

Attachments

• wirediagram2.jpg
    wirediagram2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 82
from the best of my knowledge the return wires are usually all yellow.. I would know were to start experimenting if it was mine.. but I would expect to blow the ballast worst case scenario..

I would take the pair of blues and twist those together and put them in 4
I would take the pair of reds and twist them together and put them in 3
the yellow would stay in 2 going back to the ballast
and the red and blue going to the ballast I would put together and put in 1..

I take no responceabilty of this working or damaging your ballast or you for that matter.. thats just what I would do if it were mine.. Good Luck.. :p
btw. I would expect that to work.. I would just be more comfortable with it if the other return lines were yellow like Im accustomed to seeing... I hope this works for you!! :p :p :p

That is basically how I did it except I combined the red/blue for pin 3 and red/blue for pin 4. On the other side I did red/blue for one pin and yellow for the last pin.

Here is the link I got the info from.
http://www.gwapa.org/articles/ODNO/

My dad is an electrician and he was not familiar with that color wiring either. I have them running right now. The ballast get warmer than I expected. I thought they would be rather cool but I could be wrong there. I can hold my hand on them with no problems though.

I will try to get a pic.

sounds about the same, the wires in 3 and 4 are power leads and should be interchangeable from what I can tell.. so your running a 55 or 65 watt PC! thats great!
I would expect the ballast to get a little warm running ODNO/PC.. you could wire it remotely.. considering you have only the power cord to the ballast and once combined 4 wires up to your fixture.. HTH

Back
Top Bottom