Best nano sump pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm putting together a sump for my 20 gallon long tank, but I'm not entirely sure what's the best pump to use... I'll be using the Eshopps Nano Overflow and the head height will be around 4.5 ft with probably two 90 degree angles in the piping. Ideally I'd like around 80gph flow into the tank... I was looking at this one, but wasn't sure if there were better options out there or if this would be too powerful for my needs...
Amazon.com: EcoPlus Submersible Pump - 264 gph - 6.3 ft. max - 20W - 1/2 - 3/4 in. ID: Pet Supplies

The tank already has an Emperor 400 HOB filter as well on it, so I don't want to create too much of a torrent, just wanted some extra water capacity and space to put live plants (its an actinic tank, so live plants don't do well in the display). Any suggestions? Thanks!

I think you need more than 80 gph going through the sump. I wouldn't even bother with a sump for a 20. Waterchanges are a snap and nothing removes organics and replaces trace elements better.

Water changes will be happening weekly regardless, but I do have it fairly heavily stocked and want to keep nitrates low between changes so my Amano shrimp are happy. I have all the pieces for the project other than the sump pump, so regardless if the sump is overkill it would be a waste to call it off at this point ;)

Its primarily going to be an area for adding live plants as nitrate sponges as well as just additional water capacity in general. I have plenty of mechanical and bio filtration in my HOB filter.

I can have up to 200 gph without overwhelming my overflow box if 80 seems too low, but knowing that the HOB filter gives a fair current already I don't want to overwhelm the tank with too high a return flow from the sump. I suppose I could remove the HOB filter and devote more of the sump to mechanical/bio filtration if necessary...

That's something you will have to decide. You know, you need to match your overflow with a comparable pump, right? Those HOB overflows can, and do, lose siphon when not enough water is going through them. I would get a strong enough pump to match it, and use a ball valve at the exhaust port to choke it back (this does not hurt the pump) to the desired GPH.
This way, you know you have it if you need it.

Hmmm, I like the ball valve idea for controlling the flow... That way I can tweak it until it's at a level that doesn't overwhelm the tank while still maintaining the siphon. Would the MaxiJet pump or the one I linked earlier be strong enough to do that, or would I need something more powerful than either of them?

Well, those MJ's come in sizes. IMO, start with something that's 200gph after your head loss, and then choke it back from there. As far as the MJ's go, you would need the 474 gph to get to 200 after 4'. Hmmm....Maybe the Danner Mag Drive 5.

How about this one? http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Plus-1400-Aqua-Pump/dp/B000IMXTCG/ref=sr_1_31?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1368493111&sr=1-31&keywords=submersible+pump+-air

Looks to be a better price point than the MJs and Mag Drives from what I can tell, and according to the flowchart it will definitely have the power I need to keep up with the overflow box. There were other cheaper ones I found on amazon as well, but none of them had flow charts for me to figure out what they'd pump at 4ft head...

You may wanna invest the little extra money for the danner.
If your return pump ever fails, you'll have a very serious problem.

I know the danner wouldn't fail, or make noise.

The reviews on the Rio Plus look really solid... Isn't the point of the overflow box to prevent the main tank from draining down into the sump? So worse case, if it fails then the tank would continue to be filtered by the HOB filter? I'm all for the "you get what you pay for" and buying quality parts, but it seems an unnecessary expense when it's not the primary filtration and the overflow breaks siphon like it's supposed to...

Hmmm good to hear an opinion on them from someone other than a random Joe-Amazon, thanks for all your help!

For the overflow failing though, wouldn't that be independent of the return pump? Is there something I should be worried about with the Eshopps overflow? It seemed the only one I could find for a smaller tank...

If you don't put enough water through it, it will build up an air bubble in the J tube and it will get increasingly larger until it fails. A snail coule get in the J tube and it would also fail.

Back
Top Bottom