Big sheets for cut to fit filter pads.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Modius

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have seen a few people talk about buying big sheets of filter material or charcoal sheets to cut to fit whatever canister system they use. I have been buying generic pads, that I think are just ones cut by someone else to fit. They were good but the last charcoal batch I got were see through. So think I am done getting those.

I have done a few searches but a few posts I found had expired links and sadly I live in the middle of no where, so there are no pet/fish stores other than pet smart. I tried to search for them myself but not sure if some things I found were even aquarium safe. I am scared I might get something that's treated with chemicals to remove cigarette odor and end up killing my fish. Some of the sites do not give anymore info other than the L x W + Thickness of the roll.

So please, could I get a few links to there to buy aquarium safe charcoal/filter rolls or sheets.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yet - Walmart poly-fill is the way to go. Petsmart/Petco sells the same stuff for like 10x the price calling it "filter media." I use nylon screen replacement material from Home Depot to keep charcoal and crushed coral secured in a canister section. Cut out a piece to fit and dump the loose stuff on top of it.

Thank you both very much.

Will give the poly-fill a try for regular filter, but think I will stick to cutting out the charcoal pads. Using loose, crushed, charcoal seems like it might get messy when I have to clean it out. I bet it does work 10x better though. Where do you get that? I have seen it at the pet store for like four times the price of the pads for a small plastic jar.

I buy the 4lb pail from Amazon for $18:

charcoal.png

So glad I asked you where you get it, I was in the store yesterday and they had a 9 oz jar for $8. What a joke these places are.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom