Bottom Trim on 180 Gallon Cracked???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnathan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I have a 180 Gal which the lower corner trim is cracked. Does this give the tank less stability or is it just for looks? If I need the trim, where do I get it or how do I make it?

My second question:
This tank is old, and the caulking seems to be hard and not soft. Should I go ahead and redo all the silicon just to be safe?

I'm going to use the tank for saltwater reef, so I definetly don't want this to break in my house.

Thanks for any advice you help me with, Johnathan

that portion is just for show. if the bottom fram, the thicker wood, were cracked then you might want to look into it furter, but for that I think you're ok.

If the tank is old and you have any concerns about it, IMO, I'd do it just to be sure. There are articles around (I think even one in this DIY forum) that walk you through resealing a tank. It's not that tough.

Good luck!

That is the bottom frame (trim), or are you talking about the cabinet? If that is just for looks, what keeps the glass together? Just silicon?

Thought about putting two pieces of 3/4 plywood together and tracing the bottom of aquarium and use that for the top of the stand, and the ring that is left over creating a new trim piece w/ that and use molding to make it look pretty.

Back
Top Bottom