building a tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys as some of you may know i had a 6ft tank awhile ago and it cracked on me so i have cut it up and am going to make it into a new tank im thinking 36"x14.5"x18" (LxWxH) can someone please tell me more about building one as iv never done it i spent hours today scaping the glass getting the silicon off ( also sliced my hand up ) i have aquarium safe silicon already thanks for any tips guys

A Harris (polish) pad will remove the sharp edge preventing injury.
2mm per linear metre silicone thickness. No (very few) air bubbles. These are weakness points. All joint lines must be complete in one stage as wet silicone doesn't really stick to dry. This will ensure water tightness. This is hands on experience of DIY tank building and my experience as a glazier.
Good luck!

I have just spent hours scraping silicon off the way this tank was set up before seemed a bit dodgy the base bit of glass had all the bits sitting on top of it would this be a problem?

Hey guys quick update im cutting the glass today hopefully it goes smoothly im using a tile cutting tool i bought the silicone aswell im hoping i may be able to silicon it up today

This is the tank all siliconed up just need to put in a center brace andim done it ended up being 41.9 gallons

This is the tank all siliconed up just need to put in a center brace andim done it ended up being 41.9 gallons

You postpone things a lot less than i do. Congrats on the rebuild. Looking forward to seeing pics of the tank :popcorn:

Thanks haha i try get as much done as i can when i have the motorvation otherwise it will never get done haha this is the tank its still curning

ForumRunner_20131208_174153.jpg

Well done on the build!

Put polystyrene under your tank! Forgot to mention this, you may be doing it, I read about this before my first one went together. I use inch thick but any thickness will do.

Prevents base panel cracking, if there is any particulate matter between base panel and stand this can potentially crack the bottom of the tank. A grain of sand is all it takes. The polystyrene will act as a cushion, long term piece of mind.

Very nice. It should have plenty of room to create a nice scape. I should get my tank done next weekend if other things don't come up.

Could you use a piece of carpet instead of the polystyrene?

I don't see why not? I just read use polystyrene, I've used it as advised so I can confirm its suitability. Any soft barrier I guess would work. Foam mat (yoga? Mat or exercise mat), carpet underlay.

You need to use something that will absorb any little bits and still be rigid. Styro does this, as well as absorbing any discrepencies in the flatness of the top of the stand. Carpet may not and you wouldn't want it getting wet.

You need to use something that will absorb any little bits and still be rigid. Styro does this, as well as absorbing any discrepencies in the flatness of the top of the stand. Carpet may not and you wouldn't want it getting wet.

Yes, mouldy carpet, not nice. Polystyrene is waterproof.
Other point is of good value.

Back
Top Bottom