Building my new tank top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Below are some pics I took as I was building this cover for my 125 gallon tank. This will house my lights. (2) 175 watt MH and (4) 48" flourescents.

This is a work in progress and I will update with pictures as I get further along.

Looks great,
I'm thinking about doing something quite similar for my 55 gallon so keep up the pics :). All ideas help to visualize what one wants.

Here is some more pics. I added a soffit on top for venting the heat from the lights. Added (2) 5" fans at both ends. Still have to cut vent holes on the top of the soffit. Have the two front doors cut for the angles, just haven't cut them to size yet.

Got the fans installed and tested them. Made the end brackets for the flourescent lights in the middle. Got the can ballasts for the MH and the ballasts for the flourescents, just need to instal them. Still waiting on the MH bulbs and Mogal sockets to install. I am having a hard time finding some light gauge reflective material for the lights. Anyone got any suggestions on where I can get some? Anyway here are a few more pics.

Got the fans installed and tested them. Made the end brackets for the flourescent lights in the middle. Got the can ballasts for the MH and the ballasts for the flourescents, just need to instal them. Still waiting on the MH bulbs and Mogal sockets to install. I am having a hard time finding some light gauge reflective material for the lights. Anyone got any suggestions on where I can get some? Anyway here are a few more pics.

I see a Centipede console in the background. Man, I used to love that game! Your tank top is looking good too. I'm looking forward to seeing the electrical details.

I am using the same setup on a 75. Too bad you didn't post earlier. You would have been steered toward 2 400W or at least 3 250W. Maybe you can put in one or two more 175W bulbs. BUT I'm assuming you will want to grow corals, particularly SPS. If you don't see that happening soon, just keep with the hobby and you will, I guarantee it.
For a FOWLR and softies & shrooms, it's perfect.
You did a great job. Very nice.

I see a Centipede console in the background. Man, I used to love that game! Your tank top is looking good too. I'm looking forward to seeing the electrical details.

That is for sale if you are interested..It works good too. Used to be in my game room. LOL

Lol, this goes from a work in progres post to a guy really excited about buying centipeed post

That looks awesome

Can you scan the plans on because ive heard the without galss covers you get more light in the tank and your corals like it better

Keep up the good work!!

Mr. Marine

Lol, this goes from a work in progres post to a guy really excited about buying centipeed post

That looks awesome

Can you scan the plans on because ive heard the without galss covers you get more light in the tank and your corals like it better

Keep up the good work!!

Mr. Marine

billy, how can you like the arcade edition of centipede ? it was so much better on the nes, no quarters, higher scores.. and no finger/hand pinching from the trackball. man i hated that, i have never gotten so many blood blisters in my life, than that arcade gave me.

interesting info: centipede was the first game designed by a women. the side artwork shows a grasshopper but never appears in the real game, he can be found in the test mode though.

sparky though, the hood looks great, i can't wait to see the electrical side of the project either. good luck, and plz keep us posted.. i am sorry if you stated this ealier.. but what ballasts for the MH did you go with ?

Here are some more pictures of the tank cover.
I got the doors sized down and installed. I also put a coat of stain on it to try to match the tank the best I could. Also I have started the wiring for the lighting. The flourescent lights ballast are mounted inside of the plenum, but are set on "studs" to keep the ballast of the wood back about 1/2 inch. All the wiring is inside the plenum also. The five switches on the right on the plenum are for the 2 fans, 2 actinic tubes, 2 50/50 tubes, and the Metal Halides. They are ON-OFF-ON switches. I intend to make the lighting automatic when I get the PLC set up to control all of this. So up position will be ON (manual), the center position will be OFF, and the down position will be AUTO (working off the PLC). The Metal Halide ballasts are going to be mounted under the tank in the stand. They weigh too much to put into the hood.

Unfortunately I did not make a cut sheet for the wood cuts, I made a rough drawing and kinda built it as I went along. I will when I am finished make up something with all the demensions along with a wiring diagram for the lights and fans.

I used a type of ballst for the MH's called a F-Can Ballast. Basically it is a self contain fully enclosed ballast. Looks identical to a flourescent ballast just bigger and heavier. They are made by Advanced Ballast, Catalog # 72C5581-NP. I am still waiting on the bulbs to come in, and I am still looking for some reflective metal to put on the inside of the cover.

Mike

you can use roof flashing for the reflector, or if you're budget allows get a sheet of mylar it reflects like 97% of all light that hits it.

how much do you want for that centipede game anyway?

The mylar, isn't it plastic?...Wouldn't the heat from the MH lights burn it?

Anyway, I got the flourescent lights installed. I will have (2) 4 foot actinic lamps and (2) 4 foot Coral Life or 50/50 lamps. I have yet to install the MH lights yet. I tested the flourescent lights and all is good.

So far the fans, flourescent lights are installed and working. Need to put handles on the front doors and have to seal the whole thing yet with polyurethane or similar material. If all goes well and my damn bulbs come in, I will be ready to put it on the tank for the first time this weekend. (Hopefully it will fit perfect and I won't have to do any modifications..LOL)

If you guys want to talk about the Centepede game...email me @ mcphipps900@yahoo.com

Mike

you know, i totally forgot you had MH bulbs. Yeah mylar is plastic and yeah it will melt. sorry for the stupid suggestion, however there is always roof flashing, if plan to use it make sure you wear thick gloves and sand up the edges before you install it, it's sharper than a razor blade (no joke)

i was just curious about the current prices for old vintage 80's arcade cabinets, i have a williams/united bowling machine from the mid to late 60's in my basement and i think it's lonely for a spy hunter cabinet though.. i can't find anything on it, prices, repair manuals ect and was curious about centipede. the thing works quite well expect it has one small little problem, the score counter for player 3 (it supports up to 6players) doesn't add up the score. it's just a cool mechanical game though, makes one hell of a racket when you play it, and actually takes dimes!

Back
Top Bottom