building my own tank need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Montwo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
well I have gone and did it I bult a frame from scrap lumber from a house I am helping build right now I have the frame and plexy for the bottom of the tank when I am finished the tank not includeing the stand will be about 3 maybe 4 feet tall definatly 4 feet wide and 2.5 feet maybe an even 3 feet deep but for the three glass sides I need to figure out should I go with half inch glass or thicker or maybe a homemade saftey glass by sandwiching thinner glass with thin plexy in several layers also should the glass be tempered

In our DIY forum there is a link to some garf plans that might help you size the thickness and type of glass you need.

How are you going to seal the glass to the acrylic? You need Weld On cement for the acrylic. You'll need silicone for the glass. The acrylic cement doesn't stick to glass the the silicone won't stick to the acrylic. I'm thinking you will need to construct the whole tank from one or the other...I don't believe the mix is going to work out well. JMHO.

rubber gaskets may solve that problem, but this project is mostly going to be trial and error

Back
Top Bottom