Can CO2 from DIY Harm Other Pets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sleepylof

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I just built a DIY CO2 system that is working very nicely. I used the setup reccomened by some of the other forum members entitled, "A Treatise on DIY CO2 Systems for Freshwater-Planted Aquaria."

This may sound like a very dumb question... but here goes:

I have 2, 2-liter bottle yeast generators for my DIY CO2 that is hidden inside the cabinet under the aquarium. Although I can smell a little bit of yeast when I open the cabinet door, there isn't that much leakage. My kids have a pet bird that is located about 4 feet away from the generator. This is in the living room, so it isn't a small enclosed space. Should I be concerned about the CO2 harming our bird? Does anyone have any ideas on this? (I've searched the net and haven't found anything)

Thanks for your help! :D

They used to use cannaries to detect air quality issues in mines, because birds are more sensitive to air quality than humans. Obviously you should take note if there is any change in behavior, or signs of stress in the bird.

That said, I don't see how this could be a problem. No more CO2 is being created by a DIY bottle than when making a couple loaves of bread, and spread out over more time too. If you're overgenerating CO2, you should see a massive dip in your aquarium pH and stress in the fish before stress in the bird.

Every time you, your bird, or your fish breathe, you exhale CO2, this is a natural part of your enviroment, the DIY setup just increases the local concentration in your aquarium.

I think you should double check and secure the seals on your DIY canisters as they should not have a smell to them. But maybe mine do and I do not notice because they are not in a cabinet...

Have you considered more house plants to help take up CO2 outgassed by your aquarium?

birds are famous for there respertory illness (thats why I dont own one) If there is a draft or your not feeling good about the air quality that is near the bird I would suggest you move the tank or the bird.. I would hate to see it get ill... HTH

Back
Top Bottom