canopy fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I have my 2x250 MH/T5 retro fixture and the canopy is built but I am trying to decide on fan placement.

I had originally planned on putting the fas in the back but I only have about an 1.25" between the back of the canopy and the wall. I thought this might be a problem with pulling salty air out and messing up the drywall?

So now I am thinking of putting them on the top. With the lights being about 12" off the water, I can't see on top of the canopy when it is on the tank, but I worry about light escaping. Any thoughts on this?

I am also planning on using 2 80mm PC fans ran of a 9v AC/DC plug. They seem to move a good bit of air and should not be real loud. Not sure how long they will last but I don't need them anymore anyway.

Any thought?

hmm, most of what I have read says to blow air out. I guess I will have to try and see. Do you think 2 80mm fans is sufficient or would one work?

yup, B they should be blowing out. Air will find a way in. The idea is to remove heat. By blowing in you run a higher risk of cooler air creating cool spots on your bulbs. Halides require a higher working temperature to reach optimum performance. This per Dave at Coral Vue.

R-

Is 4" fans the norm here? Should I even bother with my 3" fans?

I am using a piece of peg board for a piece on the back. I was hoping this would help with heat dissipation. I am sure light will get out too but I figured I would give it a shot :)

edited for spelling :)

I think 3 inch fans will be ok. I just got 4 inch because they are bigger. You will just have to put them on and if you have heat issues than you may want to get another 3 inch or get a 4 inch.

I cut the holed for the 3" fans tonight. Hopefully I will get this thing primed and start heat testing :)

Back
Top Bottom