Caves???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilmo

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey folks,

im wanting to build a cave for my rainbow cichlids, and B.rams and cant think of how i want to go about it. has anyone, got some pics of some theyve built so i can get an idea, thanks

I don't have pics per say but my german blue ram loves to hide inside an empty creme bottle that I put inside the tank (although every inhabitant loves to explore inside it) then I have a fake piece of branchy driftwood, river rocks and wisteria draped over it they have spots to look through but they go inside often enough but rock caves I'm not sure I I were to do a rock cave I would find as many flat slabs of rock and make a swim through cave stack em up so they are sturdy enough not to fall.

I don't have pics per say but my german blue ram loves to hide inside an empty creme bottle that I put inside the tank (although every inhabitant loves to explore inside it) then I have a fake piece of branchy driftwood, river rocks and wisteria draped over it they have spots to look through but they go inside often enough but rock caves I'm not sure I I were to do a rock cave I would find as many flat slabs of rock and make a swim through cave stack em up so they are sturdy enough not to fall.

You can use Aquarium Caulk. You can pick them up at Home Depot, on the bottle it will state that its safe for aquariums. Make sure its NOT mildew resistant, or it will kill your good bacteria. Also, double the cure time. Stacking a lot of rocks is risky, don't want to kill any of your little guys! :facepalm:

I just went out and bought "Slate Scape" (what my local landscaping store calls it), but it is just chipped slate. If you want to do something on a large caliber I would recommend getting some larger pieces of slate.

Like previously stated just use aquarium safe silicone. GE I for doors and windows is a good brand, DO NOT use GE II as it has additives that will kill your bacteria. Also DAP 100% clear silicone is also safe to use. The brand used to label all of their silicon as aquarium safe until they realized they could make more money if they marketed a tube with it on there.

You could use other stuff and build up a cave system. Like a bunch of ceramic pots/bowls, either broken or full. I made a cave system out of small ceramic bowls when I had a female betta sorority.

There are tons of cave designs on this site and floating around the net. I wanted some caves for my bristlenose pleco and kuhli loaches, so I just used some simple and cheap terra cotta pots. I broke one in half and cut the bottom out of the other with a tile cutter. Worked like a charm.

wilmo said:
hey folks,

im wanting to build a cave for my rainbow cichlids, and B.rams and cant think of how i want to go about it. has anyone, got some pics of some theyve built so i can get an idea, thanks

Hey W here are a couple small caves I currently have. As most everone else said, I just used flat river rock and stack. I have had larger ones but was too cheap for caulk(and not that smart) and there have been misshaps :-O. Never any injuries thankfully. Good luck!!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110808_190540.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110808_190540.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 121
  • ForumRunner_20110808_190807.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110808_190807.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 127
Coconuts shells make great caves also, tap a hole to drain the milk, cut in half, bake (easier to get the coconut out) cut a doorway and you have two caves.

Coconuts shells make great caves also, tap a hole to drain the milk, cut in half, bake (easier to get the coconut out) cut a doorway and you have two caves.
that awesome idea, but i think i might get a ceramic pot and the build round it with slate so i doesnt look like a pot. lol.

Back
Top Bottom