Cheap DIY light!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mackdaddy81

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I just started a new 10 gallon planted tank, and I decided I wanted to make my own lighting so here's what I did. . .

List of materials:

1 long window planter box
2 plug to socket light adapters
2 15 watt CFL bulbs
1 extension cord with 3 sockets at the end
1 can of spray paint
some aluminum foil

I took the planter and drilled a hole big enough for the extension cord to go through. I then plugged the adapters into the extension cord and screwed in the lights. I ran the cord through the hole in the back. I then screwed a piece of wood inside the planter box for the lights to rest on and I siliconed and duct taped the lights to the wood. Then I taped some aluminum foil inside as a reflector and painted the outside black. I get great light over my 10 gallon with this, and the whole fixture is about 24 inches long and only costs 15 dollars.

Thanks for looking!

I just made this, but in the tank it is going over I have some microwords, camboa aquatica, Rotala rotundifolia, and some hygrophila difformis.

I also have a betta in the tank.

I just made this, but in the tank it is going over I have some microwords, camboa aquatica, Rotala rotundifolia, and some hygrophila difformis.

I also have a betta in the tank.
i've been playing around with lighting (mostly cuz i'm really cheap and don't want to pay uber bucks for those high priced ones) but i just can't seem to get things to work

I hear ya!!

I did DIY over my 29 gallon too, and it works great. I did something similar to this. I made a wooden box with acyrilic on the bottom I and attached lamp holders with a splitter on top of the box. It holds four CFL's, so Right now I have 90 WPG over my 29.

This one was a little more expensive to do, but it looks a lot better and holds more lights.

I hear ya!!

I did DIY over my 29 gallon too, and it works great. I did something similar to this. I made a wooden box with acyrilic on the bottom I and attached lamp holders with a splitter on top of the box. It holds four CFL's, so Right now I have 90 WPG over my 29.

This one was a little more expensive to do, but it looks a lot better and holds more lights.
so your CFLs ARE working for your tanks? i rigged a shoplight over my tank with a ~40 watt CFL but plants still don't seem to be growing like i'd like. And i'm dosing with flourish

My plants are growing like weeds right now. I still am having some algae problems, but other than that it works fine.

How big is your tank?

Can you send me a link to these items?

2 plug to socket light adapters
2 15 watt CFL bulbs
1 extension cord with 3 sockets at the end

Looking to do something just like this, thanks.

i've been playing around with lighting (mostly cuz i'm really cheap and don't want to pay uber bucks for those high priced ones) but i just can't seem to get things to work

I have learned the hard way that you cannot be cheap on lighting, I have about 10 regular florescent lights downstairs that I tried and multiple ballasts. In the long run I worried about burning the house down and it was worth the $128 I spent on my 130w PC's I don't have to worry about. Good luck with your DIY it was nothing but frustrating to me! Check my earlier threads!

if you are running fresh water and know about lighting, wattage, color temperature, and wiring...you can normally build a good fixture through trial and error. I made my own set up. it took alot more money than it needed to finding the right type of lights to use, and it was alot more hassle than buying a premade balast.

if you are doing a saltwater tank, you will spend a huge chunk of change getting balast equipment that will power the wattage of lights needed to grow living reefs.

freshwater on the other hand, lighting only limits the type of plants and the quantity you can grow. the smaller the tank, the less lighting needed. this set up isnt pretty, but I am guessing it will function ok.

If you can DIY lights, Can you pick any bulb for it? I've had this odd desire to try a blacklight and a daylight bulb.. But I have a feeling it will be bad somehow.

If you can DIY lights, Can you pick any bulb for it? I've had this odd desire to try a blacklight and a daylight bulb.. But I have a feeling it will be bad somehow.

uhhh...i have read in several places blacklights and fish are a very bad idea, as well as anything that can create un natural lighting affects (strobes, odd collored or flashing bulbs,ect).

one thing I have done on my tanks in the past is run a lower watt light set up for a moonlight affect at early night and seperate lighting for the daytime.

you want lights out on the fishtank for several hours to simulate their natural enviroment and ensure a stress free tank.

with that being said, you could build a custom hood that uses the swirl style flourescent bulbs pictured in this post and then using, say, a 4w blue night light bulb or several depending on the size of the tank to give the tank a moonlight affect. have a timer for running the normal hoodlights untill dusk, and from dusk till a few hours after night fall have a seperate timer running to your other lower watt fixture.

i found a one or two 4watt blue bulbs give off a nice gentle glow in my 29 gallon tank. at night my corys and south american bumblebee catfish(he only comes out in the dark) dont mind at all, and the other fish just sleep through it.

AH Nevermind. I just realized that would be like putting a giant UV sterilizer over the tank. XD

I use the GE Daylight bulbs from Wal-mart. They are rated at 6500K, and I have two 20 watt bulbs, and two 26 watt bulbs over my 29 gallon tank right now. For my ten gallon it is the same type of bulbs, but I used two 15 watt bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom