Cheap, easy, DIY, backgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, this week I'm planning to switch substrate out in all of my tanks, so I might as well add backgrounds while I'm at it.

I've heard a ton of different ideas on how to DIY them. Most common is obviously spray paint, but I don't know if that's the best route for me. I've already got fish in the tank and I'd be worried about some of the paint getting into the water.

I've also seen people that have used construction paper, black trash bags, and even some cloth and velcro strips!

What other ideas do you have??

I'm weary on the construction paper as I'm sure it'd get wet very easily, but all the others seem like good ideas.

I got a black stick on background for my 5.5 gallon from petco. It was cheap and easy to tape on.

Yeah, that's always a good choice, but I'm cheap, so I like te DIY options when doing things

I was at Michaels looking for poly-Fil and found a black matte 30"x20" for about $5. Heavier than poster board and not shiny. Cut it length wise and they fit perfectly behind the pair of 20g long tanks I have.

I used rustoleum with roller while fish in tank, seemed fine, slow strokes to not fling paint

Yeah, maybe using a roller could work....now I just have to figure out how to get behind he tank to pull that off

Well since u won't see behind the tank , just paint away and don't worry lol

If you're looking for something a little more exotic you could put canvas art behind the tank. Though it sounds like you're already set on a black background. :3

I use construction paper and as long as your careful, it hold up fine :)

Great ideas guys myself I like to be able to have it removable. You never know u might want to change it. I think I might just do a black cloth back there cheap and easy lol

Hi, I have painted and repainted my tanks several times....make sure you use water based paint with roller....it applies easier and most definitely comes right off without any problems......on the other hand that RUSTOLEUM Paint, IME, is a complete waist....takes too long to apply, smell is strong, and when I wanted it off, I had to SCRAP it off and it took a long while and I still have little spots of black that I can see...my fish were in the tanks at the time of painting

You got use this....I had the AC running and couldn't smell anything. It holding on very well & did it just this week to my aquarium with fish in it & looks great!

img1439me.jpg

Thanks everyone! I'm thinking I'll try the paint with a roller method on the big tank...for the smaller ones I'll probably try different ones to see which one I like best and holds up best..

My husband has a cool background on his little tank made from the pages of an old comic book. (Not a valuable one) It's got a cool nerdy feel which fits in perfectly with our decor!
I didn't read all the posts, so forgive me if this has been suggested, but scrapbook paper works well too and can fit in with any colors and decor in your home. :)

For a small tank, bamboo, seagrass or reed place mat cut to fit, or burlap sack material or for a big tank, bamboo on a roll from the outdoor/patio department.

Back
Top Bottom