Chiller Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

killrsheep

Aquarium Advice Regular
So its hot weather time at home, i just got new fish, i am still a bit panicky about the fact that my temps are getting at 84°F or more during the day, (where i live temperatures dont drop too much at night (at least not this time of year).. i got a pair of idle hands and mind, and my job is becoming less of a creative engineering enviroment each day :banghead:

so, from 84°F - 86°F watertemp to... who knows where this little adventure will get us.

I was thinking of the following (sorry no pics yet, just the idea):

1 styrofoam icebox (new)
1 or 2 CPU Fans (i got a few laying around)
1 small/cheap or used (never to be used again as such) water heater
a couple of feet (or meters in my case) of aquarium safe clear tubing
1 water fountain pump (or smaller if available)
icetrays maybe?
power supply?... ill wing it, i have a couple of electronics laying around i can bust open while making the rest of the stuff :D

the idea is to make a mini cooling tower, the way this should work is to setup the water input ("hot end") at the top and onto a tray system that will eventually scatter the water and have it drip down as "rainfall"

around the center (or top if the "tray" system allows for good airflow) of one of the icebox faces i would place the fans, ( air extraction only)

and on the bottom would be my pump and some sort of water reservoir,

now this system would be controlled through a signal sent by the thermostat in the water heater (which i would disable to work as such, keeping only the on/off elements)... :huh: and i should also have some sort of reservoir level control into that just so my pump does'nt operate on empty and gets damaged on the process.

sounds fairly simple for starters, but id like someone elses opinion, specially id like some input on the use of the "new" styrofoam icebox, would it be safe to use for fishtank water? (i assume it would be safe to drink out of it)

i promise to share and document all the steps "if and when" i get to do this project

Ill dont think ill ever need a chiller where i am but it sounds interesting and im very interested to see how it works

Back
Top Bottom