chipped corner on 110l juwell tank. :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginty

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi guys.
i got a really good deal on a new tank yesterday. got it home. i put it on the table and it knocked against something and chipped the back corner. i havent filled the tank up yest as im worried it will effect the tank. i feel i. side the tank and the chip hasnt gone through to the inside.
i brought this stuff to fill in the chip. i
is it any good? and will it do the trick or is there something better? im from uk if that helps.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1395052922301.jpg
    1395052922301.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 151
It depends on how bad it is.

When we were getting started on our rebuilding project in our fishroom, we had one of our 75 gallons in the yard and it ended up getting chipped in the corner. It was a really old tank and one of my favorites so I tried to justify using it to myself... but in the end, I just couldn't do it. The chip in the glass went clear through down into the silicone on the inside of the tank. I had to give it to a reptile keeper.

Is there any way you could post a photo of the chip? Maybe we could help you decide for sure.

When we were getting started on our rebuilding project in our fishroom, we had one of our 75 gallons in the yard and it ended up getting chipped in the corner. It was a really old tank and one of my favorites so I tried to justify using it to myself... but in the end, I just couldn't do it. The chip in the glass went clear through down into the silicone on the inside of the tank. I had to give it to a reptile keeper.

Is there any way you could post a photo of the chip? Maybe we could help you decide for sure.

thankyou for your replies.. i will take a picture when i get home. its isnt really bad, i dont think. i was just gutted because im upgrading from a 28l to a 110l. i was so excited and then this happened as i got in the house. :(

ill keep you posted.

Attachments

• 1395086246220.jpg
    1395086246220.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 148
  • 1395086282075.jpg
    1395086282075.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 143
if not. isnt there some sort of edging strip i can stick on the corner to protect / support it?

it looks like the adhesion area did not get affected, so there is nothing to reseal with the product in your first post. looks still usable to me, but I can't say "hey! i had the same chip and it lasted for years without leak"

it looks like the adhesion area did not get affected, so there is nothing to reseal with the product in your first post. looks still usable to me, but I can't say "hey! i had the same chip and it lasted for years without leak"

what if i glue this on the whole corner?

Attachments

• 1395094942738.jpg
    1395094942738.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 125
it will not change anything whatsoever

so the chip will not be weakened when i fill up the tank? i am worreid about the water pressure making it worse when i fill it up.

i'm saying that this contraption will not change anyhting. it will not stop leak if one develops, and if this dent has impact on structural integrity it will not save the tank either.

If you really wanna know yourself then take it out side and fill it to the top. If it breaks then its no good. If it doesnt let it sit overnight and watch for leaks

Based on that photo I'd still use it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Based on that photo I'd still use it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

thats what i thought. it wont make it any worse.

I replaced the front three panels on mine and ended up with a chip like that. i did the plastic corner piece because i wasn't sure about it either. i would agree tough that its probably not big enough to cause a problem. the corner plastic doesn't look bad at all if your wanting to double up to be sure. i think it gives it a classic look.

i used some 1-1/8'' PVC outside corner molding from lowes. seems pretty tough.

I replaced the front three panels on mine and ended up with a chip like that. i did the plastic corner piece because i wasn't sure about it either. i would agree tough that its probably not big enough to cause a problem. the corner plastic doesn't look bad at all if your wanting to double up to be sure. i think it gives it a classic look.

i used some 1-1/8'' PVC outside corner molding from lowes. seems pretty tough.

ive sealed the chip. and ive stuck some corner edge over the two back corners. i may even do the front. i think it looks nice.

Attachments

• 1395438727862.jpg
    1395438727862.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 99
This is one I repaired I like the way the trim looks. The top and bottom are brick molding notched out.

Attachments

• 1395456460351.jpg
    1395456460351.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 1395456482271.jpg
    1395456482271.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 107
Thank you! This was all done with pvc trim from Lowes. Being PVC it won't rot or mold. The white wouldn't have worked on Ginty's because it's about an 1/8" thick. But a low budget for that tank that comes to mind would be edge for a drop ceiling. It's thin aluminum I think and cheap, also much stronger than PVC.

You would be surprised what is hanging around the hardware store lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you! This was all done with pvc trim from Lowes. Being PVC it won't rot or mold. The white wouldn't have worked on Ginty's because it's about an 1/8" thick. But a low budget for that tank that comes to mind would be edge for a drop ceiling. It's thin aluminum I think and cheap, also much stronger than PVC.

You would be surprised what is hanging around the hardware store lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

you tank look brilliant. i got the pvc one too. it came in 150cm long and 2cm x2cm.

the silicone glue i have used takes up to 48hrs so ill fill it up on sunday evening to see if i have any leaks.

Back
Top Bottom