closed loop problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bapski

Aquarium Advice Activist
intially had mag12 with scwd and 3/4 pvc lines.

ive upgraded to a mag24 and still using the 3/4 pvc lines. think this is a bad idea? guess ill have restricted flow issues?

what if i continue to use the 3/4 line on my intake and use 1" line on my output? and prolly use a TEE after the pump that would put water back to my fuge. ive seen some setup using this so as to reduce restricted flow.

pic of my return pump and fuge.
img_622785_0_d618609f7efa808984adf116ce3cf48f.jpg

thanks for the help.

Check out the flow calculator at ReefCentral. You can plug in the pump, return line size, elbows, ball valves, height, etc, and come up with approximated flow rates. You might not be as bad off as you think.

dang! why did you have to reply so late?

just took down the whole setup and decided to drill holes in my hardwood floor to put pump in basement . pump so noisy! LOL!

also, while at it i changed the lines to 1". some suggested 1 1/2 minimum for me but it would not work as i have limited if not NO space behind my tank.

whole experience was like going to HELL and back as the hardwood floor was probably 3-5 inches thick. took me forever to drill the hole for the return line. im in a conference for 2 days and will work on the hole for the input line when i come back.

You have so many elbows in your closed loop that you're losing TONS of potential flow. you could produce the same flow you're getting now with a much smaller pump if you designed your plumbing better to eliminate all those elbows.

Back
Top Bottom