co2 injection system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spiketooth

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i wanted to be cheap and build a co2 injection system. I was very successful had a 1.5 BPS things were going good, seal around tubing was tight no air was getting out. Had used a 5 gal jug so it would last me for a long time, And there was my mistake. That 5 gal jub had so much presure in it, let just say i spent the next few hours cleaning up yeast and sugar around my fish tank. Lucky for me none got in the tank. Back to the drawing board. Found out yeast and produce up to 100psi

Why did you have a build up of pressure? Most DIY co2 systems should only need to build up enough pressure to run a ceramic diffuser, which should only be a few psi really.

what was your mix? 2c sugar & 1/2 tsp yeast? It shouldn't matter the water volume (to a degree). Now if you upped your mix to fill a 5 gallon bucket you may have created more co2 than necessary.

Had the control vavle turned off becuase it was night time. It was like 4 1/2 cups of sugar, 9 table spoon of yeast and like 40 cups of water, might of mix table spoon and tsp

Had the control vavle turned off becuase it was night time. It was like 4 1/2 cups of sugar, 9 table spoon of yeast and like 40 cups of water, might of mix table spoon and tsp

Wow, thats a big mix, and then you tried to keep all that built up pressure in a bucket not designed to be under pressure. why did you do a mix of 4.5cups sugar to 9 Tbsp (or tsp) yeast? Thats a whole lot of CO2. Why not just stay with 2c sugar to 1tsp yeast? Even in 40 cups of water, if the sugar is dissolved in the water (melted in boiling/steaming water works best) then the yeast will find it.

Kind of go big or go home kind of thing. I went to the lfs i got co2 and a regulator sence i all ready had a bubble counter and pump for the co2

Kind of go big or go home kind of thing. I went to the lfs i got co2 and a regulator sence i all ready had a bubble counter and pump for the co2

Go big or go home? Thats kind of like trying to cut a steak with a Scottish Claymore.

So your pressurized now, with an appropriate canister?

Ya, co2 canister with a regulator and a secondary control valve leading to the bubble counter to the flow valve to the under water pump

Haha, ya you live and learn. Diy co2 sounds great on paper but i think its easier just to buy co2

Haha, ya you live and learn. Diy co2 sounds great on paper but i think its easier just to buy co2

Yeah, but 10x more expensive. I think I spent less than $20 to get mine running, including inline reactor. Not counting the cost of gatorade, sugar, or yeast.

More expensive, but universally better and probably more user-friendly assuming you can figure out the basics knobs of a regulator.

Back
Top Bottom