CO2 Reactor Lesson Learned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can live with the gurgling if I know my co2 is 100% dissolving.

So tomorrow before lights on I should know.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It looks like this morning with the co2 on and no lights I have basically no bubbles. So I think the co2 is getting fully dissolved! I am waiting for the DC to change colors to make sure co2 is getting in the water.

I payed closer attention to mine this morning and I noticed a few bubbles here and there, no noise though, may be an initial dissolving period in the beginning??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Could be. We will see what it looks like mid day when the plants get going.

Now to figure out why my new canister isn't taking care of all the small particles floating around.

CO2 dissolves into water relatively fast, but other gases like nitrogen or oxygen dissolves very slow. You sometimes get some of the latter stuck in reactors that can take literally days to fully dissolve. One of the things I really liked about Cerges reactors was that most of the water filters have a gas release valve on top that you can use to release recalcitrant gases to reduce noise. Someone could probably DIY something similar with a Rex Grigg reactor if properly motivated, but flipping the reactor with the water flowing tends to do the job as well, assuming your plumbing allows for such acrobatics.

That makes sense. I did use the air release on the cerger but that didn't seem to help much.

It could have been a combination of a brand new canister filter being started up for the first time and the cerger used for the first time.

I have had co2 running for about 2.5 hours waiting to see my DC change colors.

The gas made from DIY CO2 should be 100% CO2, while the gas in pressurized CO2 should be very nearly 100% as well, depending on the grade (although I think it's really a matter of 99% or 99.9%). The problem comes when air from another source gets into the reactor, such as if some gets into a canister during a WC and the canister spits it into the reactor. It's not so much a matter biproduct.

That being said, there is a noticeable caveat with DIY CO2. When you first start your batch, the entire CO2 fermenter (and any gas separator you use) will be filled with atmosphere, which is 80% nitrogen, 20% oxygen (and much smaller percents other things), which is all insoluble. CO2 is denser than either of those, so your reactor will initially release those two gases until the entire space has been replaced by CO2, after which point it will mostly be pure CO2. Those gases will take a while to dissolve and may linger in your reactor for some time. This can be reduced after the first batch by disturbing the gas separator as little as possible and filling the fermenting bottle as much as possible with your mash, leaving relatively little air in the top (but leave some, else you'll make other problems.

It seems like the reactor is working well now so definitely first day air in the system.

My plants are definitely not pearling as well the last two days though. My DC is a nice green color wonder if I should turn it up more.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418414990.093175.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418415036.885844.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418415066.339901.jpg
I finally went to Home Depot and I now have all of the pieces to start my project. I used an old small aquarium vacuum piece (clear tube in the middle) and cut it to fit. Holes are drilled in the bottom for flow. I can't wait to get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 258214View attachment 258215View attachment 258216
I finally went to Home Depot and I now have all of the pieces to start my project. I used an old small aquarium vacuum piece (clear tube in the middle) and cut it to fit. Holes are drilled in the bottom for flow. I can't wait to get started.

I like the double clear tubing. You will be able to see everything.

Ryan, which way is your flow? Is it according to the filter arrow or is it inverted? On YouTube I have seen people hook it up both ways. I was thinking of doing mine according to the filter arrow.

I have it going the way of the arrows.

OK. I am doing the same. I am about halfway done. I am waiting for the epoxy to set for my CO2 connection, plus I may put a 90 degree elbow in.

Where are you putting epoxy? Did you not find a barb for the co2?

I prefer the 90 degree barbs for the end connections to the straight ones in your picture. I figured a straight one would cause a kink when going up to the tank.

I am using a barb that I cut off of an old diffuser. I put a capplug in a TEE, drilled a hole in it and glued the barb in place. As far as the hoses go, I'll do my best to ensure that they do not kink. My cabinet is divided on the bottom so I'll drill a 1" hole and pass the PVC through.

Can't wait to see the final design.

Back
Top Bottom