CO2 Reactor Lesson Learned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418494920.878503.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418494965.350889.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418495168.811535.jpg
Well, here are the dry fit results. I used PVC elbows and straight fittings so the flow would not be restricted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I built this reactor to help me with this tank.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418495515.217282.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418495545.846889.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418495579.708603.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418495593.426900.jpg
I had the lights at 100 % intensity an the algae got out of control. I turned the intensity down to 50% and am dosing with Excel. I remove it manually also. Hopefully the reactor will help.

Looks good. I like the idea of 90 degree pvc elbows.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks good. I like the idea of 90 degree pvc elbows.

Thank you. Yeah I don't know if it matters, but I was thinking it would not limit the filter flow. Now to get rid of the algae!

Looks like clado.. nasty stuff.. tank get direct sunlight? Manual removal and h2o2 spot nuking will help.. here's my story. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1418498423790.jpg
    1418498423790.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 91
  • 1418498436294.jpg
    1418498436294.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 83
Thank you. Yeah I don't know if it matters, but I was thinking it would not limit the filter flow. Now to get rid of the algae!

A 90 degree sweep style elbow would offer less resistance than a standard elbow but I'm not sure if the are available in the size. As long as you are not seeing a significant drop in flow it should be fine.
Now kill that algae!

A 90 degree sweep style elbow would offer less resistance than a standard elbow but I'm not sure if the are available in the size. As long as you are not seeing a significant drop in flow it should be fine.
Now kill that algae!

Aye aye sir! Lol!

Testing the system for leaks.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418557848.777031.jpg
So far, so good. The flow appears to be good.

Will your next test be on the counter top with the intake and output in the sink or is it ready for big time? Personally I would do the former with a check valve at the end of the CO2 feed tubing and ALL parts dried off and let it run for while.
Is it quiet? Any gurgling? You could hook up the CO2 to get an idea what goes on in the reactor since you can actually see the inner workings.
Lastly, good job!

Will your next test be on the counter top with the intake and output in the sink or is it ready for big time? Personally I would do the former with a check valve at the end of the CO2 feed tubing and ALL parts dried off and let it run for while.
Is it quiet? Any gurgling? You could hook up the CO2 to get an idea what goes on in the reactor since you can actually see the inner workings.
Lastly, good job!

I think it is ready. I have a check valve on it now, you could not see it in the picture. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418564419.042637.jpg. It is a cheap one, but it will suffice for this test. It IS QUIET! No gurgling of course no CO2 injection yet. I will install it sometime today as long as everything is OK. I really like the pressure relief valve because it allows for easy priming.

One thing I didn't consider was the actual priming of the reactor, after a wc mines noisy for a day.. i may splice in a ball valve as to lock the water in there to avoid cavitation post wc.

Yeah, good idea. I have 2 Rex Grigg style and was considering that very same option. Oh by the way...I have been dosing excel 50ml every day in the 55 gallon like you said and the clado algae is turning pale. Good sign?

Hydrogen peroxide is a great for spot algae treatment though the glut may be better in the long run. I use both.

One thing I didn't consider was the actual priming of the reactor, after a wc mines noisy for a day.. i may splice in a ball valve as to lock the water in there to avoid cavitation post wc.

If doing a wc couldn't you leave the canister on as long as the intake is still under water? Haven't done a wc with my new canister yet. Just wondering.

Nope, shut the entire system down..

Yeah, good idea. I have 2 Rex Grigg style and was considering that very same option. Oh by the way...I have been dosing excel 50ml every day in the 55 gallon like you said and the clado algae is turning pale. Good sign?

Do you guys dose 1ml per gallon at all times or just to fight algae? I assume you are dosing excel with pressurized co2.

Do you guys dose 1ml per gallon at all times or just to fight algae? I assume you are dosing excel with pressurized co2.

All the time. I use glut (more economical). And pressurized CO2. Apparently I am running high light (PAR can exceed 100+ for about 3 hours).

All the time. I use glut (more economical). And pressurized CO2. Apparently I am running high light (PAR can exceed 100+ for about 3 hours).

What do you dose the metricide 14 at? 1/2 ml per gallon?

Back
Top Bottom