Co2 system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnowRider

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have the fortune to work at a company that has dry ice all the time. Question is; can I use this to put CO2 into my fish tank? Instead of doing all that yeast Type co2 system?
I also have a spiral of metal in coil that I can use to heat up the gas before it enters the tank or at least bring it up to room temp.
Suggestions appreciated.

I've not heard of the use of dry ice for a CO2 supply for a planted tank. You would have to run some tests to see how large of a chuck of dry ice produces CO2 for x number of hours and how much CO2 is released (bubble counter, drop checker).
IMO I don't think you would need to heat it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well I have an endless supply of it so I just was curious if I could use it.
Considering one little block lasts about three days I think it might be good to use. Going to have to get my hands on a bubble counter and a good diffuser before I even go ahead with my plans

At one place I worked there were finger size piece of dry ice. What I would do is setup a 2L bottle with tubing, bubble counter, check valves just like a DIY CO2 setup. Drop in a small, measurable chunk of dry ice and let it sublime.
The drop checker would be must for the safety of the tank inhabitants.
Keep us posted on how this works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The 2L bottle idea sounds good... you could even use a smaller bottle such as a 20oz. I'd suggest finding a way to insulate it well so as to slow the sublimation process to a usable rate.

However you do it, make sure you include a pressure release valve on the bottle for your own safety! Dry ice in plastic bottles is only a minor mishap away from a teenager's dry ice bottle bomb!

If it works I'd look into buying a small cheap pressure cooker. Fill the inside with styrofoam and make a small well in the center to hold the dry ice. The insulation will slow down the evaporation process, if faster is needed add another chunk of the dry ice. Drill a hole in the lid or side for connecting an airline hose leading to your control valve and bubble counter. The pressure relief on the pressure cooker will maintain a fairly constant pressure for you as long as you have enough sublimation to produce a slightly excess amount of CO2.

Back
Top Bottom