Coconut cave info and question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kribensis

Aquarium Advice Activist
This week I started learning to make a coconut cave for my kribensis. Meaning, cleaning it out without cracking the shell. So, with that said....

I learned that after you saw the coconut open. Don't scoop it.... boil it. Boil it for 3 min after the boiling really gets bubbling. Wrince it in cold water and let it sit till it is cooled off 100%. It's like night and day. And for the ppl that don't know. Make sure you cut slots all over the place in it. So it can break out in sections.

My question...

My buddy told me I should just wrince the coconut shell and stick it in the tank. He said that the water turning brown may be something my kribensis may like, as they are african cichlids. Is he right? Would it be safe? I also have like 6 live plans in it. (java furn, and amazon sword plant). He did say that as I do water changes it will clear up. Otherwise... It's boiling it 30x

I have 2 half coconut caves and 1 whole coconut house. I drilled a 1" hole in opposite sides, using a hole saw, and with a hacksaw cut them in half, through the middle of the holes. Gouged out the meat with a screw driver and just washed the shell with clean cold water. Used a piece of sand paper on the out side to remove the hair like strands and rewashed them off. I took aquarium silicone and glued 1 of the coconuts back together to make the house, and let it set for 48 hours. I them placed the coconuts in my tank. The fish took to them immediately. Remember that with the house, tip it in all directions, underwater to get all of the air out of it. Good Luck!

Here at our stores, a coconut can cost between 2 and 4 dollars, depending on the size of the coconut. If you want a lighter color of brown coconut, place them in a bucket of HOT water with a little bleach and let it set for 1 day. Place in clear cold water for 1 day, then rise with dechlorinated water for about a minute. It worked for me, no guarantees. Some of the loose strands turned white. I found all of this out when killing a herd of snails. By the way I stood the house up on end and pushed it down in to the gravel. The fish swim in and out of both sides. The halves, i just sat on the bottom and they are like a hut. Bottom dwellers just love them. Good Luck!

I picked mine up from a fresh market, sanded it, used a screwdriver and hammer I'm the three holes, used a jigsaw to cut my hole, boiled the heck out of it, got the middle out. No brown water.

Here is two of them I've made, one in the tank and one other one.

Attachments

• image-2972076853.jpg
    image-2972076853.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 183
  • image-3296174633.jpg
    image-3296174633.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 152
I am totally doing that next time i go to the grocery store! Well... I might have to go by my parents place and get some tools first. I dont own a saw of any kind... Lol

Just taken. Excuse the light in the upper right corner, just the flash. Sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_8738.jpg
    IMG_8738.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_8741.jpg
    IMG_8741.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_8742.jpg
    IMG_8742.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_8745.jpg
    IMG_8745.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 178
I think their totally cool...I just went and bought some coconuts ...for my 5g I hope my red cherry shrimps will like them and for my 55g I hope my julii cory catfishes will like them also...here goes nothing...btw thanks for reminding me of this, seen this on youtube months back...yours are awesome!

Back
Top Bottom