Concrete Background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jratuszn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planning on builiding a Foam insulation background for my tank, and coating it with Quickcrete . I'm setting this up for a Discus tank, so I'm wondering how long I'll need to cure the concrete to prevent it from raising my pH.

As an alternative to massive water changes over a long period of time to get the concrete cured, I'm thinking about using a clear epoxy spray paint over the completed concrete, to seal it. How long does the concrete need to cure before I could paint it? I've seen the spray epoxy-paint used (I think it's called Black Baron) for r/c models, but I don't know if it's aquarium safe. Can anyone else suggest any ideas?

Thanks!

-J

Do a search on DIY Live rock. They use a mixture of crushed shell instead to make an oranic cement. I would think that it would work for a background...

need to change the water everyday(at least what i did ) for 4 weeks or until the ph is stable :)

I'm not sure crushed coral would work- even after it cured, I think it would always up the pH. The stuff I'm using is "Quikrete Quikwall Surface-bonding cement," designed for waterproofing and strengthening block walls. It's approved by the USDA and EPA for potable water applications, so I hope that means it isn't going to continually leach junk into the water.

Does anyone know of a matte, clear sealer I can use on the cured concrete to give a little more peace of mind?

Thanks-

-J

i mixed portland cement with just plain southdown to make my rocks !! next time im gonna make a backwall using this !! once cured it will help buffer your ph !!

Does anyone know of a matte, clear sealer I can use on the cured concrete to give a little more peace of mind?

bad bad idea !!

Buffering the pH is what I'm worried about- I got rid of all of my AC's, and I'm setting up the tank for Discus. I'm afraid that, even with RO, the concrete is going to crank my pH up. Could you elaborate on why a sealer (I was thinking of those epoxy-based spray paints) would be a bad idea? I really appreciate all the feedback.

-J

ohhhh hummm sorry it didnt set in ya was wanting to keep discus !! i would think that the epoxy would peel off over time !! what if ya used silicone on the back wall and stuck different river rocks onto it ?? then there wouldnt be any leaching !! other than that sorry dont have any other ideas !! but always have it stuck in my mind salt tanks salt tanks :)))) lol

Haha. That was last year's project. I just finished pulling off 100+ lbs of lava rock that I had siliconed to the back and sides. It was awesome, but it ws so heavy the tank was a nightmare to move. Since I'm going to be driving it from Detroit to New Orleans, I decided I'd better go with something lighter, and removable. I've read a few sites where folks used 2-part marine epoxy over cement for backgrounds, but none gave long term reports, so I dunno about peeling. Looks like I'm gonna have to experiment a bit. Thanks for the suggestions!

-J

Back
Top Bottom