continuous water change system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livefishguy124

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 90 gallon tank that i will put discus in. i want to make it have a automatic water change system, that will pump in 15 gallons per day with a ro unit. and i will need an over flow system, but i do not want to drill the tank, so basically, it will pump water in with the ro unit, and will leave with an over flow. how can i do this? how do i set up an ro unit to do 15 gpd?

I can't answer the RO questions, but if you want an overflow drain for the tank but don't want to drill, then look for an HOB style overflow. These are often used with sumps, trickle filters, etc. They employ the use of two boxes (usually acrylic); one in the tank and one outside. Water drains into the inner box and is carried to the outer box via a siphon. Then a drain hose carries the water beneath the tank to a sump/reservoir.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a 90 gallon tank that i will put discus in. i want to make it have a automatic water change system, that will pump in 15 gallons per day with a ro unit. and i will need an over flow system, but i do not want to drill the tank, so basically, it will pump water in with the ro unit, and will leave with an over flow. how can i do this? how do i set up an ro unit to do 15 gpd?

Lots of different ways to accomplish this. a HOB overflow as already noted is a good idea. Or you can fab up an in tank pvc overflow like this here:
or
or

I dont think you can make your RO unit only produce 15 gpd (unless thats what is originally rated for). You'll either have to sit there with a timer and figure out how long the unit needs to run to make 15 gallons and then use some timers and solenoids to make it run for only that amount of time; OR you can make larger quantities of RO and keep it in a storage tank which you then use to pump into your display tank (again you'll likely need some kind of timer as well as pumps, etc).

I think its worth noting that diluting a 90 gallon tank by adding in 15 extra gallons will not give you as much of a benefit as you might think. According to this calculator here that only does a 15% water change daily. http://www.angelfish.net/DripSystemcalc.phpDiscus thrive on pristine water especially if you're planning on raising juveniles. If you have the RO unit at your disposal you might want to plan on larger water changes or dont limit yourself to the 15 gpd. Also not a good idea to keep a discus tank with straight RO water unless its a breeding setup.

Back
Top Bottom