Contructing T5 Fixtures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishcrack

Aquarium Advice Regular
We are thinking of setting up a 20 gallon frag tank from what we have laying around. What we dont have though is the appropriate lighting fixtures to do so. When we went to a hardware store the other day we noticed that they have everything you need to construct your own regular flourescent fixtures. Is there anywhere you can get these same parts for a T5 fixture and would this be aquarium safe? If we can find everything else the only thing im not sure about is if they sell reflectors or where we can find one. What do you guys think? Has anyone else tried this?

You would probably be best looking online at like Hellolights.com and ReefGeek.com for T-5 retros. When reefers are talking about T-5's, unless stated otherwise, they are talking about T-5 HO. The ones that are sold at hardware stores are pretty much always NO, unless they sell lights for horticulture, and are not really ideal for frag tanks, unless you have a lot of them and that wouldn't be really efficient.

HO means High Output
NO means Normal Output

What kind of coral(s) do you plan on fragging?

I am about to set 2x ten gallons (connect, one above the other) as frag tanks and I'm still trying to decide what I want to use (70,150,175 MH or 2x 24 watt T-5 HO, or overdriven T-5's)

Quality reflectors are extremely important and one thing usually overlooked by people is the importance of water clarity for light penetration.

Many, many options. HTH

Last edited:
I agree with Lance. The T5 reflector should have a w "ish" form for the maximum light output. It's kinda hard to see in those pics, but they don't seem to be built that way.

read the web page and u will understand why. they do work and are highly regarded in the planted community. i wan't suggesting that they we're more effecient than the options lance presented, but certainly more effecient than the ones found at the home depot. sorry for the confusion lance.

36 or 55 watt Bright Kits

edit... i checked out the icecap t-5 and they appear to be similiar in shape. but, i haven't found a complete kit[doesn't mean they aren't out there] and they are a generally much more expensive product. better or worse...who knows. unless u have the means to measure lumens inside the aquarium, who's to say which is better.

Last edited:
T5s are FAR more effecient then PCs not to mention the bulbs last longer and don't get nearly as hot. The individual reflectors that TEK uses focuses the light and make it a much better option. I have MH, T5, VHO and PC lights on various tanks and my money for a frag tank is on the T5s. I got the TEK 48" retro kit its about $118. For a 20g tank you could easily go with a 4x24w setup. I talked to your son about the different options and from what he said I think the T5s are the best option for you.

Oh and btw, T5s have been tested with PARmeters and they generate at or near MHs, PCs don't come close to that. They are comparing PCs against PCs not with T5s.

Go with the T5s. I have them and love them. The LFS where I buy all my corals uses them on their grow out tanks with awesome results. TEK!!!

Depending on bulb combination and reflectors T-5's can produce much more PAR then MH on tanks < 24'' deep.

Tek reflectors (48'' reflectors are 3'' wide) are slightly wider then IceCaps so they give a better spread of light when using 2-4 bulbs but when you need to put 6-8 bulbs in IceCaps are better since you can fit more in a smaller space (48'' reflectors are 2.5'' wide).

In your case for a 20 gallon you could go with one (or two depending on what corals) of the Tek ready fit kits -http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_Ready_Fit_Kits/

The intial cost is probably more then most other lighting options but they utilize less energy then mh's or pc's and you dont have to worry about heat so it would be cheaper in the long run.

HTH

hey thanks everyone! We eventually bit the bullet and purchased a complete fixture. Went with 4x24 T5 with individual reflectors. Couldn't unfortunatly manage to swing anything like the TEK kits but i think what we got will work quite nicely! After my B-Day i will be starting a build thread for this whole project so look for that coming soon.

Congratulations! You know how we love to see pics on this site so keep that camera handy when you are working on the project!

Also I'm just a text or email away if you need any help!

Back
Top Bottom