Convert or buy new?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HAVAMAL

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 42g hex tank I bought off of craigslist and my problem is the light fixture on/off switch you have to hold the button in for the light to come on, which my timer will turn it off but I still have to turn it on manually, so should I buy a new light or exactly what all would I have to change on the light to convert it?

Well they went out again, the ballast is bad so I bought a LED light and I'm very pleased with it, it also has a built in night light to view the community.
I like this much better!

Attachments

• image-1398973224.jpg
    image-1398973224.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 142
Yeah I posted this under the wrong one, I will try that on my hex tank, thanks, the picture in the post was for a different tank where I was having ballast problems.

Ah yeah I see now, yeah give the bridge a try, I assume the switch is broke and that's why you have to hold it?

You could just replace the switch but a free option is just to bridge the wires so it's constantly on, then let your timer do the on/off.

The switch is fine but it's a very old fixture, but I will try that, thanks!

Get a new ballast, the one you have is most likely old and not an autostart to boot. An electronic ballast will allow you to use the timer (+1 for that, love mine) and the newer style ballast will actually use less power to ignite your bulb.

Old fluorescent fixtures has a starter rather than a ballast, and you need to hold the switch down to charge it to light.

I don't think it is a switch fault at all ... If it is, after you have the switch on by holding it, it would still be on (just as if you have used a jumper) when the timer cuts power and be on when the power turns on ....

So your best bet is a new ballast.

Back
Top Bottom