Converting to Overflow - Hacking Up a Skimmer?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noteworthy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys!

As you know I have a gigantic skimmer. I'm thinking about selling my canister and keeping my diy skimmer because I have so much tied into it.

I need an overflow 600 gph and run it into a spare 10 gallon tank I have. Then I can put my Mag7 pump in the 10 gallon to return water back to the tank.

I have a few questions.
Will it be okay to use 1/2" pipe to return back to the tank? I wanted to use a T section and have an output on each corner of the tank. I have tons of 1/2" pipe and 90 degree elbows laying around. All I need is to put a 1" ball valve bulkhead on a skimmer and run it into my sump. I can use the ball valve to adjust how much water the overflow sends down.

The Mag 7 runs about 460gph at 5' head so 600 gph overflow should be fine.

My DIY skimmer is 5 foot tall. I can hack it down to 16" tall and set it in the sump but I need to know what size pump I need to go into the skimmer. Its 4" wide and 16" tall.. the actual reaction chamber will be 10" tall. The collection cup is 6" tall. Will this work at all?!? I have lots of pipe laying around.. would there be another option?

I also have some 2" pipe laying around and could make a 2" tube go up behind the tank and fit my current collection cup on top of it with a 2" coupler.

How would I figure what size pump is needed by 2" pvc or by the 4".

Back
Top Bottom