cool idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing I'd like to mention- Think about the humidity/evap those large footprints create. I lose a few gallons a day with my setup. Your living room is going to feel like a LFS with a lagoon style tank like you posted.

One thing I'd like to mention- Think about the humidity/evap those large footprints create. I lose a few gallons a day with my setup. Your living room is going to feel like a LFS with a lagoon style tank like you posted.

Do you think a dehumidifier would take care of this problem. I def don't want humidity bags hanging around my house. It sounds like this would most likely be a fw tank. A couple gallons evaporating daily in shallow lagoon my be hard on bw fish. Do you think it would change the salinity to much for the livestock bay in and day out?

If you aren't opposed to the idea, you could certainly have glass lids over sections of the tank that don't have emergent rocks. Just a thought.

All a dehumidifier would do is make the tank evaporate more. As for the salinity, you need only to implement an auto top off and the water level will stay constant. Would keeping a few gallon reservoir somewhere close to the tank be a big issue? Perhaps inside an end table?

All a dehumidifier would do is make the tank evaporate more. As for the salinity, you need only to implement an auto top off and the water level will stay constant. Would keeping a few gallon reservoir somewhere close to the tank be a big issue? Perhaps inside an end table?

The way I envision the stand there should be room for an extra 10 or 20 gallon reserve tank

The way I envision the stand there should be room for an extra 10 or 20 gallon reserve tank

I'm glad you said this, the way others were talking i wasn't sure if I was imagining it right. Do you plan on being able to see over the tank to the other side of the room while sitting?

Yes. You will still have a full view. So long as the entire display is less than 30" it will be fine. That will put the stand at roughly 12" and the tank at 18" or the other way around. The only thing taller than the tank would be 6 or 7 mangrove trees. There should be more then enough room to keep the plantings out of the line of sight

If the focus of the tank is to be the inhabitants in the water a coffee table set up is less than ideal unless you plan on have to drop to your belly on the floor every time. Raise it up so you can enjoy it. Several salt water builds with mangroves and above water structures on various sites.

Konolua's Volcano Tank is the one that I first think of.

Back
Top Bottom