Cost of glass... almost fell off my chair.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

furryeggs

Aquarium Advice Regular
just received a quote for some glass for a tank for my fish room. Its a thin 15cm wide 25cm tall 160cm long tank to go across the back of a sofa.

the glass i asked to be quoted for is as follows

2x 6mm plate glass 160cm x 25cm (sides)
1x 6mm plate glass 160cm x 15cm (bottom)
3x 6mm plate glass 23.8cm x 13.8cm (ends and supports to be cut)

£ 445.36 plus VAT

which seems to be very very very expensive as my 270ltr in wall tank was only £230 delivered.

are they taking the piss?

Hi possibly:blink: when I got some glass to 'double glaze' my shed windows it cost twenty quid for two bits of glass only 50 x 50 cms :eek:

holy crap...what kind of glass are you two using for your projects?? UN-certified ballistics glass??

just had a quote of £120 delivered for the tank.

that beats the £400+ glass alone quote. DIY isn't always cheaper in this case.

just received a quote for some glass for a tank for my fish room. Its a thin 15cm wide 25cm tall 160cm long tank to go across the back of a sofa.

the glass i asked to be quoted for is as follows

2x 6mm plate glass 160cm x 25cm (sides)
1x 6mm plate glass 160cm x 15cm (bottom)
3x 6mm plate glass 23.8cm x 13.8cm (ends and supports to be cut)

£ 445.36 plus VAT

which seems to be very very very expensive as my 270ltr in wall tank was only £230 delivered.

are they taking the piss?

Yes. YES. Absolutely yes. I was a glazier for a decade, that sum of money is beyond ridiculous!
Aquariums ltd.co.uk. Will sell you a monster ready made for that money! With a choice of silicone colour, with/without weirs blah blah blah.

I paid £350 for all of the 12mm float(plate) cut and polish on my 900 max cap! (750diy) 6 panels and supports, bracing inc.
1624mm x850mm x750mm. LxDxH. Braces at 100mm by length. Again polished and cut!
Tell them impolitely to disappear someplace lacking sunshine! Perhaps kissing it upon entry!

Back
Top Bottom