Crack in a 250 gallon, advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SassyHippo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 250 gallon aquarium. The back glass has a pretty severe crack. I know just dealing or “repairing isn’t a good idea.
However, could I insert a custom cut piece of glass directly in front of it? It would become the new stable back panel (removing silicone and reapply like a reseal) but the old panel would stay. Anybody see a reason that wouldn’t work? I just don’t want to handle a large cracked piece of glass like that or disassemble such a big tank. I’m aware silicone won’t properly adhere to old dry silicone so I’ll clean that out like I’m doing a total reseal. Basically just not fully removing the broken panel but adding new panel to the inside.

Honestly you would be better off buying a new back panel.
The problem I foresee it that the cracked back panel might have to much flex and crack the new liner piece you out in. If that happens it could leak or completely burst.

If it was acrylic there would be lots of options but with glass if you see a crack you are best to replace.

Edit:
I am assuming you are putting a thinner piece of glass on the inside. But if you used one as thick as your back panel you would be fine.

At further inspection the way everything is, yeah I might as well pull it off and replace. I thought I’d do a piece just as thick as the existing. But there are too many obstacles for that to be feasible I think.

Back
Top Bottom