Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2021, 10:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Crack in a 250 gallon, advice?

I have a 250 gallon aquarium. The back glass has a pretty severe crack. I know just dealing or ďrepairing isnít a good idea.
However, could I insert a custom cut piece of glass directly in front of it? It would become the new stable back panel (removing silicone and reapply like a reseal) but the old panel would stay. Anybody see a reason that wouldnít work? I just donít want to handle a large cracked piece of glass like that or disassemble such a big tank. Iím aware silicone wonít properly adhere to old dry silicone so Iíll clean that out like Iím doing a total reseal. Basically just not fully removing the broken panel but adding new panel to the inside.

Old 02-25-2021, 09:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Honestly you would be better off buying a new back panel.
The problem I foresee it that the cracked back panel might have to much flex and crack the new liner piece you out in. If that happens it could leak or completely burst.

If it was acrylic there would be lots of options but with glass if you see a crack you are best to replace.

Edit:
I am assuming you are putting a thinner piece of glass on the inside. But if you used one as thick as your back panel you would be fine.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

At further inspection the way everything is, yeah I might as well pull it off and replace. I thought I’d do a piece just as thick as the existing. But there are too many obstacles for that to be feasible I think.

Tags
50 gallon, crack, gallon, advice

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com