Crazy question for you diyers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duddits

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone ever used pantyhose for a filter bag? Just thinking here, I was gonna add carbon to my tank filter and it says to put the carbon in a fine mesh bag, well what if I used pantyhose instead? It's cheaper and of course readily available around my house lol. Any thoughts?

Duddits said:
Has anyone ever used pantyhose for a filter bag? Just thinking here, I was gonna add carbon to my tank filter and it says to put the carbon in a fine mesh bag, well what if I used pantyhose instead? It's cheaper and of course readily available around my house lol. Any thoughts?

Put the carbon in the pantyhose, twist it once or twice then go around it again. Less likely to tear that way.

Oh and make sure the pantyhose has never been washed with soap! Rinse thoroughly in hot water though. Knee highs work well.

Ok, I made two different bags of carbon. A small and large one. Put one in the sump and put one under the drip over top of the bio-balls. My understanding from what I've read is that the carbon acts as a buffer or polisher for the water. Since adding my driftwood my water has become that tea stained color even though I soaked, washed and scrubbed the dw for over 5 weeks. I'm hoping this will clear my water without harming my fish.

Lots of PWC over the course of time will help. I have been reading that some of the dw bought from the stores recently are taking a really long time to clear. I'm wondering if these are from the same suppliers/region or maybe the process being used to prepare them.

Not that it would probably make you any happier, but the tannins also condition/toughen the fish's skin.....and you aren't the only one having these problems!!! Over time it should get better.

My lfs of having HUGE issues with this.

Let us know if the carbon works

I know it sounds crazy but I can already tell a difference. I've had the carbon in for a few hours and the water quality seems to look better. You can still see the tea like water in the side shot. That's white sand/crushed coral in there

So far so good. The carbon is working great. My water is slowing becoming crystal clear again and my fish are still happy and thriving.

Yeah it's worked great so far. Water is clearing up and the fish are healthy and happy. Can't wait to get that crystal clear water again. After it clears I'm going to try and make some sort of LED light for it to get that shimmering effect over the rocks. Live the way that looks

Back
Top Bottom