Custom Stand Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KBCoggin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to build my own stand for my 50 gallon tank. Here is my questions:

1a) Should i build the base out of 2 x 4's and then cover it with 1/4" oak panels?
1b) Or should i make it out of 3/4" oak veneer?
1c) Would both work? is one better than the other?

2) For the top of the stand I am planing on using Plywood, would 3/4" plywood be enough to support the weight? or should i maybe user 2 3/4" sheets?

3) Any recommendations on Retrofits for a canopy? i want to add lights, 2WPG but dont want to break the bank either

Thanks in advance AA!! I appricate all your help! :p:D

if you're going to build the base with 2x4s, using a 1/4" "skin" is fine, because the 2x4s are what will take the load of the tank.

1 3/4" top will be plenty

hellolights has some good retrofits. Check them out.

Moving this to the DIY forum.

1c) both will work. I think the oak veneer will be nicer at the end of the day. But if you do the skeleton of the 2 x 4s in oak veneer, that would be nice. After all, you would only see the 2 x 4s inside the cabinet.

For the retro-fit, it depends what your plans for the tank are.

I had an idea of what I wanted and just for confirmation I just went to the LFS and took a really close look at their setups with the same size tank as mine. It helped a lot.

Steve

Chizer is on the right track, it all comes down to preference and money. What are you willing to pay? I saw A post of a guy that made his from stock cabinets ended up paying allmost $200 for a 40 Gal tank stand.

if you're going to build the base with 2x4s, using a 1/4" "skin" is fine, because the 2x4s are what will take the load of the tank.

1 3/4" top will be plenty

hellolights has some good retrofits. Check them out.

Moving this to the DIY forum.

I agree 3/4 will do I am building a wrapped stand right but want to put the 55 gallon on top of two 10 gallons so opted for 2X3 and 2 X 3/4 sheets for the top. Bought stands I think are made out of 3/4 MDF and coated but I would go to a pet shop and have a look before you decide a 2X3 build is hard and I have had many obstacles to overcome so far but nobody is going to carry it away as it weights loads wit about 30Meters of 2X3 and two sheets of 6mm ply to create the shell and cover the skeleton. I would say the 2X3 cost a lot more two.

Last edited:
You can also go to Home Depot and look for a counter top already made. I bought a scratched one got under $40.00 and then cut it down to the size I needed. No more scratches!!!

Back
Top Bottom