Custom Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b.jent10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thinking about bulding a sump for my 29 gallon reef tank. I was hoping for some suggestions or tips that anyone might have. I'm thinking about using a plain 10 gallon tank? Also wanna add a protein skimmer, but not sure about which one would be a good fit. Suggestions?

The biggest issue you're going to have with the protein skimmer is space. A 10 gallon just isn't going to have the length you need to fit everything unless that's sitting outside of the sump.

Good point. Is it a problem to have it sit on the outside of the tank? Or what about a hang-on slimmer? Are they worth it?

I really don't know much about SW. I'm just reading now in an effort to setup my first SW tank next year. I have seen hang on ones so I assume you can do it just fine. I see others in the sump and raised up.

I like having everything in the sump, less chance something could leak. Never used a HOB skimmer, but alot of people do. They work good because the water level will always be constant.

What are you running now for filtration? In my opinion, a skimmer is a great thing to have but not totally needed on such a small tank. I've run or am running a 29g, 20g, and a 29 cube with no skimmer. It's all in the water changes and feeding which can dictate if a skimmer is needed.

The extra water volume would be nice to have as well with a sump but youre looking at some $$ to set one up. You'll need an overflow or drill the tank, the return pump, skimmer and the sump itself.

I have a hob canister filter right now. Hot magnum by marineland I believe. Anyways, I figured it would cost a bit, so I want to build one from scratch, little by little so I dont notice the cost so much lol and I think I can work it to where I don't have to drill anything. That will be a plus because I'm not breaking down the tank right now

+1 to drilling your tank.

Wish i had done it on mine. The peace of mind from a drilled tank is totally worth it.

I have a 29 as well, I'm setting up a seahorse tank and want a skimmer. I also will be using a 10 gallon sump. There are skimmers that will work, maybe we will find them together. So I am gonna 2nd the original posters question.

Well then, the sumps you both have- how much room have you dedicated for the skimmer? Start there and then narrow your search with brand names and volume ratings.
You could try the Bubble Magus NAC + or the NAC 3.5.

Here's a picture of my ten gallon sump on my fowlr tank. I was able to fit my old mini-g in there with some lr its not to complex but it worked really well

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120116_103448.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120116_103448.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 107
Holy kitchen sink batman!!! You managed to squeeze everything in there for sure huh? I thought I was going to have a difficult time later down the road with my 40g breeder LOL. If you can do all that in there I shouldn't have a problem. Nice job!

Thanks it 10 gallon was origanly only to house the skimmer but once everything was in front of me I realived I was able to fit a live rock and cheato section. :). I still wish I have room like I do in my 20 gallon tho

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120116_104122.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120116_104122.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 116
Wow, Paul! I'm designing a 29 gallon glass sump/fuge right now, and your sump is an inspiration! Here I was concerned about space!

Will do, definitely. I intend to begin buying supplies next month, and work on it in my free time. I expect to have a finished product before spring rolls around. My design is pretty simply. 4 inch intake section with LR rubble to reduce splashing, and the skimmer, perforated baffle (or maybe one that overflows. Not sure yet), 16 inch long Refugium with DSB, macroalgae, etc, 3 baffles as a bubble trap, 6 inch return pump section, possibly with some mangrove shoots using the shallower water level in that section. All linear, right to left.

Mangroves aren't really much as far as nutrient export goes. You would need many of them to match a ball of chaeto. They are a good conversation piece though.

Mangroves in the return, chaeto in the fuge, and shaving brush in the display. I'm all about the plants, man. LOL

I made a sump for my daughters 700 ltr tank. Worked out cheaper than on the net a self satisfaction is great seem them from £99 up on the net this cost half that and took a day to put together have ago and save urself some cash for something else all the best .

Back
Top Bottom