Cutting a tank down to a smaller size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nelix10

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone here ever cut a tank with 5/8 glass down to a smaller size?

I have a 40gal and have a chance to get a 200gal for dirt cheep! But can't fit it in
My house! Thought I could just make it smaller so it fits!

I have a 40gal and have a chance to get a 200gal for dirt cheep! But can't fit it in
My house! Thought I could just make it smaller so it fits!

If it's tempered glass, and you cut or drill it, you're ^{%#=+^ !!!!! Good luck finding all the pieces.

If the tank is 5/8 glass it is unlikely to be tempered, other than possibly the bottom. However, cutting glass that thick might be a challenge, and paying someone to do it likely to make the exercise economically impractical. You could buy the tank and resell it to finance a tank of the correct size.
How much smaller would you like it?

The only glass I know that's tricky to cut is pyrodur/bel. It must be sawn. (From memory)
Tough glass is impossible to machine after it has been tempered.

Any other glass including standard laminate is just the same to cut or drill, you just need more time on thicker panels for drilling and more care on thinner panels. More pressure to open the crack on thicker glass. Two cuts on laminate, one per side. That's it.

With 5/8 you would definitely need to finish the cut edge, normally they are polished, you can finish by hand with a Diamond abrasive pad, for sanding glass/ceramic. Good enough but not the highly machine polished edge, just safe for handling.

Old glass is more brittle and therefor the break is more likely to stray from the scored line. That's ok if it moves into the off cut. Cutting glass is no more than a controlled break.

As for tooling, an ordinary pair of pliers for nibbling, a pair of glass pliers for opening small cuts and an oil filled wheel cutter. That's enough for straight lines on any glass except pyrodur and any heat treated glass. For laminate you will also need a sharp knife and maybe some liquid lighter fuel and lighter to warm the plastic laminate sheet, handy if it's cold.

Edit-post 204, my fish house (DIY build), I will talk you through any cutting or drilling though I hold no responsibility for loss or injury.

I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings but I own a window company and cutting down an aquarium with 5/8" glass is insane.

I could go into details but it would be more fun if you took video and posted your results.

What can I say, I'm bored :lol:

Ha deal fell through anyway! Will likely diy acrylic :)

Back
Top Bottom